What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Template Creation

Nelix

Hi All

I have recently registered on this site and posted in the "introduction" forum.

I am hoping someone can help in the creation of a template, it's a little strange and I'm not 100% sure it is possible but thought I would ask anyway.

I am hoping to create a template that I can load a picture into, the template then needs to divide the image into 4 parts (A,B,C & D) and then take 3 of those parts(B,C & D) and place them in the bottom right, a little hard to describe, attached below is a grid of what I am after that might make it clearer:

Ideally, I would like the template to be able to accept any size image and be able to resize depending on the desired output size i.e. 6x4, 7x5 etc. both the A,B,C & D image AND the shuffled D,B,A & C image should be the same size.

If this is not clear then please let me know and I will try to clarify.

Kind Regards

Nelix

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 9.31.58 AM.png

Attachments

• Template.doc
    27 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

.........I am hoping to create a template that I can load a picture into, the template then needs to divide the image into 4 parts (A,B,C & D) and then take 3 of those parts(B,C & D) and place them in the bottom right, a little hard to describe, attached below is a grid of what I am after that might make it clearer:........

One image goes into the template?
The image is then divided into four quadrants a, b, c, and d?
Three of the first quadrants are then placed in the remaining b,c, and d templates?

Like this?

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 10.26.12 AM.png

Last edited:

Nelix

Hello and welcome to PSG.

.........I am hoping to create a template that I can load a picture into, the template then needs to divide the image into 4 parts (A,B,C & D) and then take 3 of those parts(B,C & D) and place them in the bottom right, a little hard to describe, attached below is a grid of what I am after that might make it clearer:........

One image goes into the template?
The image is then divided into four quadrants a, b, c, and d?
Three of the first quadrants are then placed in the remaining b,c, and d templates?

Like this?
View attachment 60037

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I get an error when I try and follow the link:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Can you post it as an image in a post?

One image goes into the template? - Yes
The image is then divided into four quadrants a, b, c, and d? - Yes
Three of the first quadrants are then placed in the remaining b,c, and d templates? - Correct, however the original image (or any of the quadrants) should not be deleted/removed, also Quad D should not be placed in the remaining B,C & D.

I have amended the grid to hopefully describe/illustrate this better. I have also uploaded a version for Portrait orientation.

Basically Once the image is placed in the template, Quadrants A,B & C are copied to Quadrant 1,2 & 3.

Thanks for your Help, it is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Amended Template Grid.doc
    27 KB · Views: 1
  • Amended Template Grid Portrait.doc
    27 KB · Views: 4

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It was an image, please look at the post again.

Can you please post images and not word docs?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry for sounding short, I'm multitasking! Too many things going on at once.

Nelix

Sorry for sounding short, I'm multitasking! Too many things going on at once.

Don't worry about it, I'm multitasking too and Word docs were the easiest/quickest to post at the time.

The image you have posted looks exactly like what I am after.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great! Basically, what I have done is to establish a clear understanding of what you want.

.......Ideally, I would like the template to be able to accept any size image and be able to resize depending on the desired output size i.e. 6x4, 7x5 etc. both the A,B,C & D image AND the shuffled D,B,A & C image should be the same size.......

As far as automating the process, that may take myself or one our members awhile to work out.

I believe that this can be done with smart objects.............or a script. I'll see what I can come up with.

What size does the original quadrant (a, b, c, and d) need to be?

Also,.............what is this for?

Last edited:

Nelix

What size does the original quadrant (a, b, c, and d) need to be?

Unfortunately, I can't give a definitive answer to this on. I will probably only do this with 6x4 images and smaller, wallet size maybe. there may be a rare occasion when I would need 7x5. I would also like landscape and portrait versions if possible and not too much trouble.

I have sent a PM regarding what it is for.

Thanks again

Nelix

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great.

To all members, now that I know what it's for, I can tell you that knowing what the template is being used for, will not in any way change the design of the template or what's being requested here. My original thought was that knowing what it would be used for would help me figure out a better way to accomplish the end goal...............I can assure you it will not.

Nelix, give us some time to see if someone can help you out. Good luck.

Nelix

Nelix, give us some time to see if someone can help you out. Good luck.

No Problem, if the automation side of things is going to be too complicated then I am sure I can use what you currently have and I'll be able to do it manually, I'll leave it with the members for a while to see what can be done.

The A1, B1 & C1 quadrants can be shuffled around randomly if that makes it easier, as long as D stays where it is.

Thank's you ever so much, it is very very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Nelix

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great news Nelix, this works very well with smart objects and all you will need to do is add in the new image and re-size when you want to switch images. I should have the first 6 x 4 template soon.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nelix Sent you a PM with a link to the Template file. If you have any questions, post them here.

Nelix

That's Great IanSam thank you, I have just arrived at the day job, unfortunately my work machine does not have photoshop on so I will check this when I get home this evening.

Can the template be switched between landscape and portrait?

Regards

Nelix

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can the template be switched between landscape and portrait?

No. This first template is in landscape. But that's not a problem. This is just a test file to see if it will work for you. Each size and orientation will require it's own file.

Nelix

Sorry for the delay in responding, been a busy day/night.

I have had a play with the template and created a few sample prints and it works an absolute treat.

I would like a slight amendment if possible. Originally I said that the A1, B1 & C1 could be place randomly, however after printing a sample I think it would work and look better if Quadrant A goes to C1, B goes to A1 and C to B1.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would like a slight amendment if possible. Originally I said that the A1, B1 & C1 could be place randomly, however after printing a sample I think it would work and look better if Quadrant A goes to C1, B goes to A1 and C to B1.
Not a problem, will get on it as soon as I can.

Nelix

Thanks IanSam, there's no hurry so in your own time.

My reasoning behind it is due to me testing this with a photo that had a white border, I'm sure you'll be able to work out what it looks like as the end result as you know what this is for, I just think it looks better that way.

Oh, as for the smaller "Wallet" size template, I have been thinking about this and think the size should be 2.5"x3.5" (about the size of a playing card). both portrait and landscape.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Paul MR

The Script Master
As always in Photoshop there are a few ways to do the same thing, hopefully this should be useful.

Create your own template by:
Create a document of the size and resolution you require.
Use File - Place to select a document.
Resize and move to where you want it.
Delete the Background layer.
You now have a template that you can use with that size document.
With a template open run the script.
The script will prompt for a new document to replace the Smart Object
Then create the other quadrants.
The script should work on Landscape and Portrait templates.
Good luck.

Attachments

• split picture.zip
    808 bytes · Views: 6

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
As always in Photoshop there are a few ways to do the same thing, hopefully this should be useful.

Good luck.

I don't know how you could come up with these things at such short notice and most especially at appropriate moments, Paul MR. But if ancient aliens shared advanced technology to our forefathers, you must be a present day alien.... You are not of this planet....

Thanks for sharing this with the OP and interested individuals here......

Nelix

Good luck.

Thanks for this PaulMR. Again, due to being at work I will take a look at this tonight and compare the results with the solution from IanSam to see which I find easier and produces the best outcome.

Scripting within PS is new to me, do I need to place the script in any particular folder? after doing a quick search I have read that script in the startup folder will run when PS starts so I assume it does not go there. After placing the script in the appropriate folder, how do I run it?

Thanks again, everyone's help here is greatly appreciated.

Nelix