What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo editing help

linz

baseball.jpg
Hello Hello! So this is a photo of a father and son.I was asked to photoshop them together for a birthday present. I was given the photo on the right to be added with the photo on the left. What suggestions do you have to make it look less photoshopped? I'm going to work on the background so everything's more centered. I'm just focusing on getting the guy on the right to look like he belongs in this photo.

Unfortunately I cannot get another photo of the picture on the right. I have to work with what I have. Any suggestions on the lighting? That shadow is really bothering me. Something else is bothering me but I can't quite figure out what it is. I think it's the perspective of the photo on the right maybe. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Please upload the photo's so our members can advise you.

Last edited:

linz

Hmm.. I uploaded the photo before I posted. I'll go back and upload it again.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Untitled-1.jpg

First (1) what happened with the details in the white, there's nothing to recover, it is flat white.
Second (2) the targetted person is lit from the upper left side. There's a way to equalise this by using the 'color replacement brush'. It's quite unknown but gives good results sometimes.
Thirth (3) reposition his feet to match those of the guy on the left.
Four (4) again try using the color replacement brush to match the color of the glove on the left.

Argos

Guru
My inglish is not so good so i put a fast example of i try to do if i was you.

baseball2.jpg

Last edited:

Argos

Guru
View attachment 62623

First (1) what happened with the details in the white, there's nothing to recover, it is flat white.
Second (2) the targetted person is lit from the upper left side. There's a way to equalise this by using the 'color replacement brush'. It's quite unknown but gives good results sometimes.
Thirth (3) reposition his feet to match those of the guy on the left.
Four (4) again try using the color replacement brush to match the color of the glove on the left.

I dont think he needs to match the color or size of the globe, because is not the same globe, maybe desaturate to match the photo style.

The bigger problem i think is, as you say, the shadows from the diferent light on the guy on the left. hard work to fix in my opinion XD

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi Argos
I wasn't talking about the globe but the glove (baseball glove), and matching these colors evens the picture.

Untitled-1.jpg

Then lifting up the feet to match those of the person on the left side

Untitled-2.jpg

Then use the adjustment (shadows/highlights to match as closely the bright/dark sides.

Untitled-3.jpg

Then using the clone stamp to fade away the sharp shadowline.
Then sample a medium color of the original face and again use the color replacement tool.
I did a very quick job just to show it can be done. Will it be perfect? No but its trial and fail and begin again until you're satisfied.

Untitled-4.jpg

Argos

Guru
Oh ok, nice explanation :thumbsup:, i was thinking maybe it's easier to add shadows on the father than remove the son one's. What do you think?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Adding shadows to the father would indeed be easier to do.

linz

Thanks for the responses! They are very helpful! Do either of you have any suggestions for making the two guys look more proportional? The son on the right in reality is about as tall as the dad on the left I think. Also the son on the right just looks to big. When I shrink him down to look more proportional to the dad he looks to small to me.

Argos

Guru
mmm maybe i'm wrong but i dont think they were the same height looking at the picture,
About the proportion i think is because they have diferent constitution, you can try to transform a litle like i did in this example, maybe look better (left one) but is not realistic.

basebal4l.jpg

Last edited:

linz

I just don't like how when you look at their faces the one the right just looks to big. Well I guess I'll just have to keep them at different heights. Do you think you might could upload a higher quality version of the original edit you did? If not then I want to make sure I know what edits you did. I know you added shadow, added definition to the pants and fixed some of the color differences. Was there anything else? Thanks so much for the help! I use photoshop quite a bit but not usually with people like this so I'm very much out of practice.

Argos

Guru
I edited the image you put in the phorum i dont have better quality, my photoshop is in spanish and my inglish is not very good so is dificult explain every layer i used, i can give you the psd if you give me your mail. But it's a fast example with poor organization and some destructive methods, so if i was you i use the psd only as reference and do it well on my own,

Cheers!