What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Someone Please Remove The Wall Marks And Razor Cut On My Face?

Terminus101

lUNZTdV.jpg

I think this should be pretty easy for some of the photoshop veterans here. I just want the wall to be all 1 color and the mark which is a razor cut from shaving to be edited out, it is on my chin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru
To follow up Eggy's comment, may I ask why don't you just take a better quality selfie? Unless this is a very old picture of yourself, and you don't have any others from that time, there appears to be nothing special about it.

Tom M

Terminus101

Is there anyway you can increase the quality?

It is for a dating site, I had a smart phone before to take pictures but the provider was bad so I returned it. My regular phone which isn't a smart phone can take good enough pictures but I only have 1 picture with that phone on a dating site. Anyway, the quality looks really bad because it is taken from being on webcam on a chat site, instead of from the actual webcam software, might be turning women away with so many bad quality photos.

Terminus101

Something like this

View attachment 62696

I must say is by far one of the worst photo's I've seen in some time.
Even my old Nokia provides me better quality photo's then this.

Thanks for the edit. Most photos would be bad, it is from a webcam chat site, webcams on it don't look so great when on full screen.

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Is there anyway you can increase the quality?

It is for a dating site, I had a smart phone before to take pictures but the provider was bad so I returned it. My regular phone which isn't a smart phone can take good enough pictures but I only have 1 picture with that phone on a dating site. Anyway, the quality looks really bad because it is taken from being on webcam on a chat site, instead of from the actual webcam software, might be turning women away with so many bad quality photos.

Why don't just get a photo taken of you with a proper camera?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I'm affraid not.
The photo is extremely blurry. Sharpening this photo will increase the amount of artifacts and unwanted patches.
You could ask someone with a smartphone or proper camera to do you a favour.

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
The picture and initial information/text on a dating site is similar to a resume you give to a company in hope you can get hired. There are no do overs with first impressions.

I will be blunt. The original image is extremely poor and gives the impression it was done in a prison or in the back of an unkempt gas station bathroom. Not that first impression you want to give.

Look/shave and dress the best you can and get a quality picture done --- then if there are blemishes to address after the fact, then Photoshop can help with that.
Continuing to try and improve your initial image I believe will not help you with your end objective i.e. more dates.

Not trying to be harsh just trying to do you a favor with your best foot forward.

Just for reference, below is your image extracting out the hue information. It is a pixelated mess and not sharp at all.

Just my opinion.

John Wheeler

lUNZTdV-hue.jpg

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
BTW - by modifying the luminosity component and adding the color back in, this is the best I could do on short order.

To be honest, while it may look better, I think it looks more scary, then inviting. Just emphasizing that a much better initial picture is the way to go.

John

lUNZTdV-adj.jpg

The picture and initial information/text on a dating site is similar to a resume you give to a company in hope you can get hired. There are no do overs with first impressions.

I will be blunt. The original image is extremely poor and gives the impression it was done in a prison or in the back of an unkempt gas station bathroom. Not that first impression you want to give.

Look/shave and dress the best you can and get a quality picture done --- then if there are blemishes to address after the fact, then Photoshop can help with that.
Continuing to try and improve your initial image I believe will not help you with your end objective i.e. more dates.

Not trying to be harsh just trying to do you a favor with your best foot forward.

Just for reference, below is your image extracting out the hue information. It is a pixelated mess and not sharp at all.

Just my opinion.

John Wheeler

QUOTE]

Very clear language on this topic.:thumbsup:

Tom Mann

Guru
thebestcpu - "...gives the impression it was taken in prison ..." - Humm ... Well, that would explain why he can't get his hands on a cell phone ... Muwahahahaha! Sorry, the devil made me say that - just kidding (I think).

@OP - You've been given some very good advice, and you haven't really responded to questions about finding someone with a better cell phone or camera. What's up? There's an old saying that one can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The modern version of that saying is that Photoshop can't work miracles: garbage in, garbage out.

Tom M

Terminus101

The cell phone I have is good enough for taking photos. I took this picture with it which is on my profile and better quality. I just don't have many because I don't seem to be photogenic with the phone I use to take pictures with and most of them look bad except I liked this one.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Terminus101 -

While the camera in your phone might not be the most modern, to be honest, I think that the main reasons you are unhappy with your selfies have more to do with how the camera is being used, not its intrinsic qualities, nor what you look like. In fact, most people would say that you are a quite a good looking guy and it's silly to blame how selfies come out on your looks (ie, "I don't photograph well.")

1. In the opinion of many accomplished photographers, the main reason it's difficult to take a good "selfie" headshot is because you have to hold the phone yourself. (a) This forces the camera to be much, much closer than the optimal distance for these types of photos, ie, around 6 feet away. Pro photographers have know this for more than a century, but the current crop of selfie-takers don't have a clue about this. Being so close makes your face look distorted -- features are exaggerated and its overall shape appears much rounder than it really is.

(b) the second reason is that when you hold the phone yourself, people typically place it at an odd angle for head-shot photography - looking up from below and off at an angle. It's like you hired a midget photographer to stand really close to you and take the shot, LOL. There is no way a shot like that will be flattering.

(c) the 3rd reason is that when you hold the phone yourself, your arm being out distorts your whole body, and because you are concentrating on aiming the phone, you have to stare at it, and this makes it seem like you have crazy-killer eyes and your face is frozen, like a mask. LOL.

Quite a bit has been written about this, e.g.,
https://bakerdh.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/face-distortion-is-not-due-to-lens-distortion/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...Proof-lens-difference-pretty-pretty-ugly.html
http://rachaelfosterphoto.com/blog/2014/1/22/how-to-take-better-selfies-angle-and-distance

You really should read these or similar articles before condemning yourself or your camera, LOL.

Bottom line, let someone else (with a bit of knowledge of photography) take a series of photos of you while chatting with you.

--------

There are two other aspects of the photos you posted that caught my eye, but which you might not be aware of:

2. The lens on your camera appears to have a thin translucent film of sweat or some other smudging over it that lowers the contrast and sharpness of pictures like these. You should clean the lens regularly and carefully (ie, not with the bottom of a dirty t-shirt, LOL).

3. You prefered the photo of you in the car (post #12) to the original one of you in front of the green wall. I don't know this for sure, but my guess is that the original one was take in much lower lighting. This will make the image much more noisy / grainy / soft. In addition, the original one looks like it was taken indoors, so the light that illuminated you in that photo probably bounced off of other surfaces in that room (eg, the other walls, probably green) and imparted a horrible color to you. Your camera tried valiently to adjust for this, but couldn't fully correct for this. In fact, no camera can correct perfectly for such lighting.

In contrast, the light hitting you in the car/driving shot was much, much brighter and bounced off of the neutral gray interior of the car, imparting much less of an odd color cast.
----------

Bottom line, all future head-shots of you should be taken outside, on a nice day, by someone else who is standing around 6 feet away, and is about your same height.

The best lighting for these would be with the sun hitting a big white wall and you facing that wall. This will give you very good, soft lighting on your face. Unfortunately, it will also mean that your camera lens will likely be hit by direct sunlight which can lower the contrast, so have the person holding the camera/phone use his other hand to shield the lens from direct sunlight hitting it.

----------

It's next to impossible to realistically correct the photography errors discussed above using Photoshop, but you seem to really want an improved version of your green-wall image. Here's some quick work I did on it. The result obviously is still pretty bad, but maybe it's enough of an improvement for what you need for Kageshi.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• lUNZTdV-tjm01-2xACR-ps03b-crop2-66pct-01.jpg
    lUNZTdV-tjm01-2xACR-ps03b-crop2-66pct-01.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 33

Terminus101

@Terminus101 -

While the camera in your phone might not be the most modern, to be honest, I think that the main reasons you are unhappy with your selfies have more to do with how the camera is being used, not its intrinsic qualities, nor what you look like. In fact, most people would say that you are a quite a good looking guy and it's silly to blame how selfies come out on your looks (ie, "I don't photograph well.")

1. In the opinion of many accomplished photographers, the main reason it's difficult to take a good "selfie" headshot is because you have to hold the phone yourself. (a) This forces the camera to be much, much closer than the optimal distance for these types of photos, ie, around 6 feet away. Pro photographers have know this for more than a century, but the current crop of selfie-takers don't have a clue about this. Being so close makes your face look distorted -- features are exaggerated and its overall shape appears much rounder than it really is.

(b) the second reason is that when you hold the phone yourself, people typically place it at an odd angle for head-shot photography - looking up from below and off at an angle. It's like you hired a midget photographer to stand really close to you and take the shot, LOL. There is no way a shot like that will be flattering.

(c) the 3rd reason is that when you hold the phone yourself, your arm being out distorts your whole body, and because you are concentrating on aiming the phone, you have to stare at it, and this makes it seem like you have crazy-killer eyes and your face is frozen, like a mask. LOL.

Quite a bit has been written about this, e.g.,
https://bakerdh.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/face-distortion-is-not-due-to-lens-distortion/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...Proof-lens-difference-pretty-pretty-ugly.html
http://rachaelfosterphoto.com/blog/2014/1/22/how-to-take-better-selfies-angle-and-distance

You really should read these or similar articles before condemning yourself or your camera, LOL.

Bottom line, let someone else (with a bit of knowledge of photography) take a series of photos of you while chatting with you.

--------

There are two other aspects of the photos you posted that caught my eye, but which you might not be aware of:

2. The lens on your camera appears to have a thin translucent film of sweat or some other smudging over it that lowers the contrast and sharpness of pictures like these. You should clean the lens regularly and carefully (ie, not with the bottom of a dirty t-shirt, LOL).

3. You prefered the photo of you in the car (post #12) to the original one of you in front of the green wall. I don't know this for sure, but my guess is that the original one was take in much lower lighting. This will make the image much more noisy / grainy / soft. In addition, the original one looks like it was taken indoors, so the light that illuminated you in that photo probably bounced off of other surfaces in that room (eg, the other walls, probably green) and imparted a horrible color to you. Your camera tried valiently to adjust for this, but couldn't fully correct for this. In fact, no camera can correct perfectly for such lighting.

In contrast, the light hitting you in the car/driving shot was much, much brighter and bounced off of the neutral gray interior of the car, imparting much less of an odd color cast.
----------

Bottom line, all future head-shots of you should be taken outside, on a nice day, by someone else who is standing around 6 feet away, and is about your same height.

The best lighting for these would be with the sun hitting a big white wall and you facing that wall. This will give you very good, soft lighting on your face. Unfortunately, it will also mean that your camera lens will likely be hit by direct sunlight which can lower the contrast, so have the person holding the camera/phone use his other hand to shield the lens from direct sunlight hitting it.

----------

It's next to impossible to realistically correct the photography errors discussed above using Photoshop, but you seem to really want an improved version of your green-wall image. Here's some quick work I did on it. The result obviously is still pretty bad, but maybe it's enough of an improvement for what you need for Kageshi.

Cheers,

Tom M

Thanks for the help and I appreciate the effort, the picture looks too artificial though. I get very annoyed taking selfies I like so it can be a draining process which is why I use the pictures I currently have. I just need a better camera and will get one if I get a smart phone, one that is at least 15 megapixels. I had a galaxy s6 before but the carrier had bad service, I only got it because it was so cheap but the trade off was bad service. I will have to pay 70-80 a month for the best carriers here, I can afford it but I don't think I wanna get one for 1-2 months.

Tom Mann

Guru
You obviously didn't read or didn't understand anything I said in my previous post. In it, I told you that you have been having problems getting a good picture of yourself because (a) you insist on taking selfies (instead of letting someone else take the picture), and (b) blaming your camera (instead of learning how to use it properly). In that post, I also suggested simple, low cost, instant ways to fix both of these problems.

In spite of this, in your latest post, you continue to talk about how hard it is to take selfies, and that you need another, better camera-phone, completely ignoring the advice of someone (me) who has been professionally involved with photography for decades.

I'm sorry, but until you demonstrate that you actually pay attention to the help that people are freely giving you, and that you respond to it appropriately, I've given you all the help that I can.

Good luck.

Tom M