What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request to edit photo

suitdude

Hi all,

I have the following requests for this picture.
The right half of the picture will be cut off, but perhaps some parts can still be useful for editing.

- remove the right glass and hand of my friend in front of me
- remove the 'teabags' under my eyes
- is it possible to replace the people behind me with the right part of the picture (which shows a chair and an empty table)?

Anything else to improve this picture is also appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• me 2016 edit.jpg
    me 2016 edit.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 6
Hope this is what you have in mind. This was a good one... quite a few challenges. Normally, about three seconds after I post one of these I notice something I wish I'd changed, but for the moment I'm happy with it.

View attachment 62968

Does what it says on the tin mate, job well done:thumbsup:

Hope this is what you have in mind. This was a good one... quite a few challenges. Normally, about three seconds after I post one of these I notice something I wish I'd changed, but for the moment I'm happy with it.

Thanks, looking good!

Can some of the gurus and regulars on this site please tell me what you see on your monitors when you look at my retouched photo in this thread? I do all my Photoshop work at home on a monitor that has been calibrated. On the calibrated monitor, I can see the notches in the lapels of the tuxedo in this photo, as well as fabric folds and texture in the tuxedo jacket. But when I look at this same photo at work, that (un-calibrated) monitor is much darker---the entire tux is a deep black and I can't see the lapel notches or much detail of anything else in the jacket. It's got me second-guessing myself, wondering which monitor is more representative of what the rest of the world is seeing. Can you see the notches and fabric folds in the tuxedo jacket?

Yup, like MrToM, I can also see then on my calibrated monitor. They are hard to see if you are looking at the shadow details on a bright background, but put on a dark background, it becomes vastly easier to see the details:

01-etc-RHS_of_jacket_isolated_on_a_black_bkgnd.jpg

In addition to your monitor at work not being calibrated, and probably you are viewing the image against a white background, the ambient illumination level in typical offices is almost always much, much higher than optimum for photo editing, and this will make it almost impossible to see the shadow detail.

Another way to understand what's going on is to determine the darkest and lightest pixels in the area of interest. If the brightest pixels in this shadow area are under 15 (out of 255), very, very few people will see them, and, when printed commercially, they will likely go to maximum black. This is why some old-tyme printers used to recommend making one's darkest blacks be something like (10,10,10), instead of (0, 0, 0).

One can use the eyedropper tool to determine the lightest and darkest pixels in an area, but the method I prefer is to put a threshold adjustment layer above the image and watch which pixels switch as you adjust the threshold. For example, here are the pixels brighter than 50 in white.

03-etc-pixels_brighter_than_50_in_white.jpg

And here are the pixels darker than 16, also in white:

02-etc-pixels_darker_than_16_in_white.jpg
Since the range of brightness in the tux is around 16 to 50, IMHO, this is a very reasonable brightness for the tux. Bottom line, believe you home system, not your office system.

HTH,

Tom M

Back