What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Request: Cosmetic Changes

OhCaptMyCapt

Photoshop Request: Cosmetic Changes [*UPDATE*]

Hi Gurus,

Thanks for setting up a request page. I'm hoping for a few cosmetic changes to a picture taken of me about a month ago but just shared with me today. In the past month I've lost a lot of weight, so I'm hoping for the following changes:

1) Making my face look, for lack of a better expression, less fat. I guess that means giving me a more well-defined chin, trimming the left-side cheek, and tightening up the jaw-line on the right-side;
2) Smoothing my jacket collar (see the wrinkle?);
3) Removal of darkness under eyes; and, relatedly -
4) Giving me an even-toned face (maybe it's good as-is, I'll let you decide what looks most natural); lastly -
5) The ~romantic~ lighting makes my hair look red, but I'm a dirty blond, so I'd like it if something more close to my actual hair color could be achieved.
And anything else you think would make the picture (and me) look better!

SEE UPDATED PICTURE IN A POST SEVERAL MESSAGES BELOW
Thank you all in advance and I'll be around to answer any questions and give praise. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
Hi OhCaptMyCapt and Welcome to PSG

Firstly the image you posted is only 219 * 416 pixels which is pretty low resolution for anybody to try and work on.
Secondly wouldn't it be much easier to get a professional photo taken of you as you are now?

Tom Mann

Guru
To add to what Ged suggested, even if one is an expert at Photoshopping, making major changes to an image after the fact will NEVER look as good as simply getting it right in the camera in the first place. In addition, you are asking people to spend a considerable length of time working at their computer for you, versus you spending the few seconds it takes someone with a cell phone to grab a new photo of you.

To me, about the only time I will spend Photoshopping an amateur photo is if it is of an event that can't be recreated, a deceased relative, a fire or water damaged photo, etc., but not a photo that could be re-done for almost no effort and with better results by almost anyone owning a modern cell phone who knows the basics of photography.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

OhCaptMyCapt

Hi OhCaptMyCapt and Welcome to PSG

Firstly the image you posted is only 219 * 416 pixels which is pretty low resolution for anybody to try and work on.
Secondly wouldn't it be much easier to get a professional photo taken of you as you are now?

Thanks for the welcome.

re Point 2: Not necessarily, of course. All I'm doing is putting in a request! Pretty easy. I don't have many opportunities at all to get a professional photo taken of me. In fact, I don't know if that's happened since high school.

OhCaptMyCapt

To add to what Ged suggested, even if one is an expert at Photoshopping, making major changes to an image after the fact will NEVER look as good as simply getting it right in the camera in the first place. In addition, you are asking people to spend a considerable length of time working at their computer for you, versus you spending the few seconds it takes someone with a cell phone to grab a new photo of you.

To me, about the only time I will spend Photoshopping an amateur photo is if it is of an event that can't be recreated, a deceased relative, a fire or water damaged photo, etc., but not a photo that could be re-done for almost no effort and with better results by almost anyone owning a modern cell phone who knows the basics of photography.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Fair enough, Tom. I suppose the reason that his photo in particular has some significance is because it was at my sister's wedding. But if editing it to the extent I requested is a difficult proposition, I understand.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
I understand. As you said, it's only a request, so you may get lucky and someone may come along and want to try their hand at tweaking it for fun.

If you have a higher resolution (i.e. larger) image to work on, that would make it much more appealing for people to work on. In other words they would feel that they would have a better chance of doing a good job and the work would likely go more smoothly/quickly.

Tom M

PS - BTW, you are the spittin' image of one of my cousins (many years ago), LOL!

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Thanks to Gedstar and his link i used my new Nik collection, needs some work but hey you get the idea.

facedd.jpg:cheesygrin:

Argos

Guru
Nicely done Paul! maybe a little fix matching the spark in the eye and erase the color dominance in the shirt.

Cheers!

Tom Mann

Guru
And now, for something completely different / extreme (...yeah, I know the background is screwed up, but I didn't feel like taking any more time on a little example like this).

T

Attachments

• Orig-tjm01-acr0-ps02a_16bpc_cropped-01.jpg
    Orig-tjm01-acr0-ps02a_16bpc_cropped-01.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 16

Tom Mann

Guru
That really helps, Argos! Thanks. I was getting too tired to continue.

If anyone else wants to base other non-silly improvements on my tweaked version (eg, straighten out the curve in the background), pls. feel free to do so.

Tom M