What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Required to Replace Hand Written Text on Photograph

Nelix

Hi

I have not been on the forum for some time but the last time I was, I was amazed at the response and how helpful everyone was on here.

I'm hoping for a similar response this time.

After a recent passing of my other half's grandmother, her mother has received some pictures of the grandfather, also passed some years ago, however, the condition of the picture is extremely poor. I have managed to repair the picture except for some text that was originally written on the picture.

The picture is of the grandfather posing in his military uniform whilst he was posted in Burma during the war. He wrote some text on the picture before posting it. the original even has the scratch marks on it from the fountain pen that was used to write on it. Some of the ink is still visible.

Here is what I started with:

Original.jpg

And here is what I currently have:

Current State.jpg

If you zoom into the area on each side of his legs you will be able to see the text that I am needing to be restored.

I don't have a Graphics Tablet or a pen so that I can try and fix this, I would like this to look as authentic as possible bearing in mind that this was written with a fountain pen. I can let you know what the text should say if you can't work it out.

I hope someone can help, if you require the full-size image then drop me a PM with your email and I will send them to you.

If anyone want to have a go and start with the original, either to do a better job then me (I'm sure someone can) or simply as an exercise then please feel free.

Kind Regards

Nelix

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
First of all great rework you have achieved here, i can't redo your request concerning the text but i did have a go at the image in my own style hope you approve?

soldier.gif

Nelix

I don't mind at all, the offer was there for anyone who wanted to take it up and have a try.

I like the colourisation, I had thought of trying this myself but would not know where to start.

Very beautifully restored work Nelix.

But do not have to great expectations that someone can conjure the faded text again.
Even gurus are not wizards.

Nelix

Very beautifully restored work Nelix.

Thank You

But do not have to great expectations that someone can conjure the faded text again.
Even gurus are not wizards.

I understand that. Although the text is faded, if you zoom in, you can see the text impression, I'm just hoping that someone with a tablet/pen can set it to a fountain pen nib and go over the text again and maybe colour it so it looks more real/natural. Unfortunately, I do not have the tools to do it, I tried with a mouse and it looked terrible.

Here's hoping!

(I know what the text should say in case it is not quite visible enough to make out)

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
(I know what the text should say in case it is not quite visible enough to make out)

It may help if you tell us what the text says, I can't make it out then again my eyes aren't as young as they use to be.
Nice work BTW :thumbsup:

Nelix

It may help if you tell us what the text says, I can't make it out then again my eyes aren't as young as they use to be.
Nice work BTW :thumbsup:

On the left of the picture (Grandfathers right) it says:

a smile
for you
darling

And on the right (Grandfathers left) it says:

Lots of
love
Charlie
XXXXX

I have the original file if it would help as the upload process will have more than likely compressed it. Drop me a PM with your email and I will forward it on.

Kind Regards

Last edited: