What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request to crop picture and improve resolution

ajsbnj

Hello everyone-
My dad passed away earlier this year and as he is not a photo lover, he seldom smiles for a photo and I really do-not have many good pics of him.
My parents got professional photographs taken in a studio a long time ago and I have the .psd files available.If someone can please create a profile pic of my dad only ( a grey/blue background similar to the existing one would work) by cropping and also increase the resolution as my intent is to get the final photo printed into an 8X10 size and frame it, I would really really appreciate it.The files are available here:
Mr. M. A. Jairaj 2.jpg

Mr.M.A. Jairaj 1-0.jpg

Thank you very much.
Please let me know if this is not the right place for these kinds of requests and let me know if you need more information.

I know it's not the right background but are you looking for something like this, there's not much we can do about the resolution as the image is too small

Mr.M.A.-Jairaj-1-0redo.jpg

Here's another
done.jpg

Here's an enlarged one 8*10 inches
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some suggestions
1) If you still have the prints (even if small), you will have a much better result if a much higher resolution scan is done and preferably at 16bit depth and not 8bit depth (though the higher bit depth is not a must)
2) Also scan to a TIFF file because if scanned to a JPEG, you have already baked in JPEG compression which reduces quality and limits some retouching techniuques.
3) Definitely working from the original scan as opposed to a recompressed JPEG on the forum would also help a lot (you could post it on a sharing site and share the link to the image). Increasing the size of a compressed lower quality JPEG only amplifies the lower quality.

John Wheeler

Thank you for your reply.Unfortunately the photos came preframed from the studio and hence I cannot really scan them but I do have psd files, would that help?

The images posted above as far as I'm aware were from the PSD files that you originally posted. Sam just added the images and they were low resolution
Is it possible to remove the images from the frames and scan them as John suggested, you would more than likely get much better results, you can always re-frame the photos afterwards!

edit: No Ged, they were directly from the OP and not the PSD's.

Hello-
Thank you for responding. It will be a while before I can get my hands on the preframed pics so I will have to do with what I have.
But the result is simply fantastic.
I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again!

Back