What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Help Make Photo Quality Better/Remove Cut?

Aetius88

Don't know if anyone can make it look better, I have just tried cropping it certain ways and it gets blurry if you make it too big. Would appreciate it if someone can increase the photo size and remove the cut on my lip.

lPF3fn7.jpg

My edit in an attempt to make it bigger/increase photo quality. It looks a lot blurrier.

tZiNDwZ.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Probably you best bet is to retake the image at higher resolution with better lighting and focus.
Barring that, here is my try at an enlargement and using some techniques to trick the eye into thinking it is sharper:

lPF3fn7-adj.jpg

Hope that is hepful
John Wheeler

Tom Mann

Guru
While John did about as much as humanly possible to improve the sharpness and all the JPG artifacts in such a low resolution starting image (ie, take home lesson: NEVER EVER throw away the full resolution original that's in the camera / phone !!!), I felt that some other noticeable improvements could be made by reducing:

(a) the "up-close", fish-eye type of facial distortion present in every photo ever taken by a camera held at arms length, including this photo. Example of this sort of wide angle distortion here and here;

(b) the burned out, bright areas of the skin;

(c) all the wasted area in the periphery of the frame.

Unfortunately, I had to guess at the true, undistorted shape of the subject's face and I could easily have guessed incorrectly, but, FWIW, here's what I came up with.

T

Attachments

• lPF3fn7-b4_after_comparison-tjm-ps11d.gif
    lPF3fn7-b4_after_comparison-tjm-ps11d.gif
    84.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Aetius88

Probably you best bet is to retake the image at higher resolution with better lighting and focus.
Barring that, here is my try at an enlargement and using some techniques to trick the eye into thinking it is sharper:

View attachment 67162

Hope that is hepful
John Wheeler

Thanks, this is great, just 1 issue I have, it looks like you edited the nose and their is a faint circle around it, would you be able to remove that?

thebestcpu

Guru
Not sure that I can see the "circle" to which you refer. I mainly tried to target fooling the eye into think that it was sharper which not doubt amplified some already existing defects in the image. I did not keep any of the intermediate work from before so just took the jpg that was created and removed some of the non-uniformities of the tone in the nose area. Not sure this is what you want you given the limits of the original image, going much further would be a lot of post processing work when the less intensive approach would actually be taken a better starting image.

Hope this helps.

John

lPF3fn7-adj-2.jpg