What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you make an oil painting for me please?

Nayeem Mohammed

I have an image in high res that I saw used to make an oil painting picture. I love the oil painting version but haven't been able to find a digital copy of it. I took a pic of the oil painting with my camera phone and have attached it here along with the high-res copy of the original picture. Can someone make the high-res version into the oil painting copy so I can print it out? I've tried and tried but can't emulate the oil painting. Thanks a million!

The original image is really large and I don't want to downsize it by uploading so you can download the original high-res image here:
https://simerg.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/gettyimages_166563235.jpg

The oil painting pictures i took are too large to post so I put them on a dropbox folder which can be viewed here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4r9f32dmq7uov6m/AADQiADUCcStS5KK5qtoSpEaa?dl=0

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Nayeem Mohammed

That's pretty great! Can you decrease the blur effect just a slight amount so when I print a large version it'll still be clear? Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Argos

Guru
Interesting i tried different thing to look like a painting, maybe is too much... sorry for the cut i concentrated on the blend and transformation. (edit: this was a fast atempt but i'm going to try to make it more soft and subtle just to see if i can make it realistic and still look like a painting)

100_268723.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Your basic goal is to take an oil painting that you like and make good reproductions of it both on paper / canvas, and for viewing on a computer.

This is exactly the same goal as the staff of museums who need to make good reproductions of oil paintings and other flat works of art in the museum's collection for sale in their shop, for reproduction in printed programs, for display on their website, etc. To them, it makes absolutely no difference how the piece was created (eg, oils, acrylics, a photograph, constructed using digital software, etc.). All that matters is that they get a good reproduction of what's on display.

To accomplish this, they never commission a new, similar work of art be created de novo (ie, what you suggested be done). Instead, they either scan it or take a good photograph of it. The photographic approach takes considerably more knowledge, experience and both lighting and photographic equipment than most people suspect, so a photographic approach is usually only taken for very large scale art or permanent installations that can't be moved. Most reproductions of flat art are done by scanning.

IMHO, the best approach for your situation would simply be to have a good scan made of the painting. This approach will get you vastly closer to the painting than trying to have a new, similar work done from scratch (ie, from the original photograph). If the painting has faded, has crease marks or other imperfections, these can be dealt with by standard repair/reconstruction techniques.

The basic problem with having a new version made from the original photo is that there are an infinity of possible choices in doing so, and the eye, talent and stylistic preferences of the new artist will almost always make the new piece different from the original oil. Maybe you will like it ... maybe you won't, but the probability of success is much less than just scanning (and repairing, if necessary) the oil you currently have and obviously treasure.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

PS - BTW, I thought the digital art produced by Eggy and Argos were excellent, so the above recommendations to scan your oil painting are certainly not in reaction to their submissions.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Nayeem Mohammed - I wish you had immediately told us that this was a photo of Mawlana Hazar Imam, his highness, The Aga Khan (https://simerg.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/gettyimages_166563235.jpg) taken in 1957. I, for one, did not recognize who this was, or even that this was an extremely rich public / religious figure, well known in some parts of the world.

This particular photo is described on this page:
https://simergphotos.com/2013/07/08...rical-portraits-of-his-highness-the-aga-khan/

As described on the above page, this photo was taken by the famous photographer, Philippe Le Tellier (Paris Match). This photo is or was further distributed by Getty Images, and was under copyright for some time. This means that if one wants to produce a derivative work from his photo, one may need to license it from Getty Images, the photographer, or his estate or other representatives. For example, some of his photos are is currently being auctioned by the "Invaluable" auction house:
http://www.invaluable.com/artist/le-tellier-philippe-fbxnrkycgo

However, that being said, I could no longer find this photo in the Getty catalog on anywhere else on the web, and since it is almost 60 years old, and the photographer died in 2011, the chances are reasonable that the copyright on it has expired.

On the other hand, sometimes the estate of famous photographers renew the copyright on important photos, so in the interest of caution and full disclosure, I have put the photographer's name and other info on this digital painted derivative work.

You should only use this or the previous digital paintings for one's own education and enjoyment, and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you attempt to sell copies of it without first contacting Simergphotos, Paris Match, Getty Images and extensive investigation of the copyright / licensing situation.

Anyway, here is yet another digitally painted derivative of the above photo. The purpose of presenting this version is to illustrate how different derivative works can be, and to support my previous recommendation that you simply scan the oil painting that you currently own.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• getty_images-16656323-tjm01-acr-ps05a_full_rez-annotated_with_attribution-01.jpg
    getty_images-16656323-tjm01-acr-ps05a_full_rez-annotated_with_attribution-01.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Nayeem Mohammed

Thanks for the clarification. In hindsight I should have listed who the picture depicted - will do so in the future. While I would love to scan the original image I took a picture of, the shop where it's at is managed by an angry lady who wouldn't consider it and the shop owner is never on site so I'm out of luck on that avenue. But the renders done here came out fantastic! I'm going to get some printed on canvas and enlarged and will post up here with images of how it came out. The Aga Khan is the spiritual leader for Ismaili Muslims and my wife and I want a unique picture for our new home. Thanks to all for the efforts!!!

Anyway, here is yet another digitally painted derivative of the above photo. The purpose of presenting this version is to illustrate how different derivative works can be, and to support my previous recommendation that you simply scan the oil painting that you currently own.

Cheers,

Tom M

Excellent!
You did a wonderful job on this one Tom.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Chris -

Thank you very much. That means a lot, especially coming from an expert like you!

I must confess that most of the time, in my opinion, either (a) the request is frivolous / puerile, (b) or they should be paying for the service, or (c) I don't have any confidence that the OP will even bother return to the thread he starts, so I usually don't expend significant amounts of time and effort on requests.

However, when I realized that the subject of this request was the leader of a very significant religious movement and the OP seemed earnest, I thought it would be worthwhile to do a good job and help out the OP.

It probably took me a good 2 or 3 hours to paint this one.

Best regards!

Tom M

Last edited: