What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas blanket help

seekskater43

Can someone please help make this picture a little better for a blanket for Christmas? I would like the pup to be centered in the picture and the picture to have one solid background/design. All help would be appreciated. Thanks!

13567272_1109513582421059_9147071365286892118_n.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Nice work Jerry but if you still have the PSD file consider adding a 'contact shadow'.
Mine's is a bit too hard and too dark but you know what I mean...

contact-shadow.gif

Jerry D

Power User
I put shadows on the original, but when I pulled the opacity down on the background layer they were mostly lost. But, it's not
supposed to look realistic, anyway. Does this look better?

puppy-b.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I prefer the first version. The contact shadow draws more attention to the perspective issue between the subject and the background.

Jerry D

Power User
Everyone surely has my permission, if needed, to change anything. :devilish:
Here is my psd of it.....

View attachment puppy.psd

Edit: If it's for a blanket

Blankets05.jpg

and the OP wanted just the dog, they should say what color the bg should be.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi Jerry, I hope you understand I just want to give some advice and surely not correct you. I had to learn it too thanks to this forum and God nows how little I knew some tree years ago.
The purpose of that contact shadow is to 'glue' the object to the background.
Applying it is searching for the best realistic looking solution and some like this version, other another version... :cheesygrin:

I permitted myself to do some changes on your PSD

View attachment puppy.psd

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I was just offering an opinion as well. I had no intention of upsetting anyone or correcting.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like the original background. I don't know that the pup should be "glued' to the background because of the perspective.

Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 8.24.48 AM.png

Jerry D

Power User
I'm not upset, guys! I just thought if you wanted a go at it I would give you what I had.
Everyone sees things differently and I would welcome your input on anything I do!

seekskater43

Thanks for the photo Jerry, it looks really good. I didn't specify a background because all that really mattered to me was the dog being in the picture. I just didn't like the items in the background like the backpack and such