What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas photo

remayne

Dear Members,
I made this photo for christmas. Can somebody please fix the colors and lights, remove the visible tapes from the wall and the white writing from the baby's dress and make the whole photo look more professional? Thank you in advance! 1f642.png

www.photoshopgurus.com.jpg

Attachments

• www.photoshopgurus.com.jpg
    www.photoshopgurus.com.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

Tom Mann

Guru
I understand your requests to remove the white writing and the tapes, but I don't understand your complaint about the colors. I do pro color photography, color correction, etc., and, to me, the skin color of the baby looks fine. In fact, it's astonishingly good compared to what we often see. What exactly do you think is wrong with the colors? Same goes for the lights: what exactly would you like done to them? About the only thing I can think of would be to blur the wall more so the bright spots of light don't pull the viewer's eye away from the subject.

To be honest the only thing that jumped out at me as being questionable was that there seemed to be too much wasted space above and below the baby, so my instinct would be to crop the image. However, perhaps you framed the image this way to leave space for text to be placed. Could you discuss this, as well.

Cheers,

Tom M

PS - I see we had the same thoughts on this photo, Arghhh. We were writing at the same time.

Last edited:

remayne

Thanks for both of you for the answers.
I don't have problems with the skin color. I only have a little problem with the color of the dress - it's more red in reality.
The idea of blurring the wall and crop the image would be great, I don't want any text on the picture. I just focused on the baby's face when I made the picture and saw only later, that there is too much wasted space, like you mentioned.
My biggest problem with the picture is, that the tapes are visible and I think, that the black wires are too distracting.

Tom Mann

Guru
...I only have a little problem with the color of the dress - it's more red in reality. The idea of blurring the wall and crop the image would be great, I don't want any text on the picture. ... My biggest problem with the picture is, that the tapes are visible and I think, that the black wires are too distracting.
Ahh ... ok. I didn't see your latest comments when I was working on it, so here's a version with some placeholder text (that could be easily removed in future iterations). I'll post a cropped, no text version in a few minutes.

With respect to the red, I agree that the red of the version you posted was not very pure. I reduced the greens and blues, as well as darkened it a bit so it looks more saturated. See what you think.

WRT the wires, to be honest, it's a time-consuming PITA to do. Anyone who wants to remove the wires on my tweaked version should feel free to do so, as I have another night of shooting photos for a client ahead of me and can't put the time in right now.

Hope you like it.

Tom M

Attachments

• baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps01a-01.jpg
    baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps01a-01.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4

remayne

Wow, thank you very much, these are perfect!
If you have a little more time, could you please also post a non-cropped version without the text? I'm gonna make a photobook in about 6 months and I have no idea right now, how I will use this picture, but I really like the way you blurred out the background.
And thanks again for the help everybody!

Tom Mann

Guru
Done. My cropped version is already posted. Just refresh your browser. Glad you liked them.

T

remayne

Yes, I saw that version, and that's awesome, too, but I wrote now "non-cropped" (sorry for my English) :)
It's because the background became so good, that I'd like a not cropped version of the photo, without the English text (we are Hungarians, my family members don't speak English, otherwise that version would be 100% perfect).
Thank you again, I can't tell, how grateful I am!

Tom Mann

Guru
Here ya go! Now I really do have to go.

T

PS - I hope you realize that to download the full resolution version of my tweaked version, you have to double click on the low quality, in-forum preview.

Attachments

• baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps01a-02_no_crop-no_text.jpg
    baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps01a-02_no_crop-no_text.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 4

Tom Mann

Guru
Jerry D - Hi Jerry ... I'm curious, did you use my version for everything except the wall, and just changed the wall?

Here is what I get if I subtract your version from mine, and then use a levels adjustment layer to amplify any differences. The amplified difference is essentially zero everywhere except for the wall. It's absolutely fine if this is what you did, but was a bit surprised when I saw what you posted and thought it looked awfully familiar, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps11a-01_compare_mine_to_JerryD's-01_698px_hi.jpg
    baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps11a-01_compare_mine_to_JerryD's-01_698px_hi.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 13

Tom Mann

Guru
For comparison, this is what one gets if you compare my tweaked version to the original - the changes are obvious (ie, very few nearly black areas).

T

Attachments

• baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps02a_also_compare_mine_to_original-01_698px_hi.jpg
    baby_with_xmas_lights_on_wall-tjm01-ps02a_also_compare_mine_to_original-01_698px_hi.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 12