What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help me make my picture look professional?

Dianna Raizel Ty

I took a photo of myself for my LinkedIn profile using my DSLR camera. However, I do not know how to professionally edit a picture using Photoshop. I tried editing my picture using some photo editing applications on my phone but it did not come out very well.

I am hoping that you can help me make my picture look professional.
Some suggestions:​

• [*=1]Cropping the photo to a square ratio.
    [*=1]Remove the oily/shiny parts on my face. (Mattify?)
    [*=1]Erase the spots on the wall, make it look whiter.
    [*=1]Get rid of the messy hair on my shoulder.
    [*=1]I do not want my hands to be seen (since it looked weird.)
    [*=1]Any color, rotation/straighten, and lighting adjustments.

I cannot upload the original picture since it is too big.
I would like to thank you in advance for your time. Have a great day. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice job, Eggy! Also, I totally agree with you about the hair.

I hope you don't mind, but she's shooting an EOS-60D with on-camera flash, and I just can't stand the lighting that on-camera flash gives, so I did some minor dodging and burning on the very, very nice job that you did. I also brought up the shadows a bit to allow people who are looking at the photo on a low quality monitor or in bright light to see shadow detail.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• IMG_3428-B-Eggy_tweaks-tjm01_xL-acr0-ps01a-01.jpg
    IMG_3428-B-Eggy_tweaks-tjm01_xL-acr0-ps01a-01.jpg
    923.7 KB · Views: 7

sanjaymj

Nice job, Eggy! Also, I totally agree with you about the hair.

I hope you don't mind, but she's shooting an EOS-60D with on-camera flash, and I just can't stand the lighting that on-camera flash gives, so I did some minor dodging and burning on the very, very nice job that you did. I also brought up the shadows a bit to allow people who are looking at the photo on a low quality monitor or in bright light to see shadow detail.

Cheers,

Tom M
Thanks Tom for the detailed explanation
This is what I like about this forum
I learn new things everytime I visit
Thanks to all the Gurus & the members
Cheers :thumbsup:

Tom Mann

Guru
I realized that the minor changes I made to Eggy's version (...thank you again, Eggy!) were so subtle that some folks might not be able to see what I did, so I decided to make a low resolution animated before-after GIF to make the my tweaks more obvious. My main goal was to try to simulate more sophisticated lighting. Of course, doing this after the fact, in Photoshop, will never be as good as getting the lighting right at the time of the exposure, but at least it removes some of the falsely exaggerated lumpiness in the face cause by such crude, simple lighting, without changing the pore structure and other fine detail in the face.

HTH,

Tom M

PS - Pls. ignore the radial banding in the background, that's entirely due to the very limited color palette (256 color) inherent to GIFs. Just concentrate on the changes in brightness and shadowing of the various parts of the subject's face.

Attachments

• IMG_3428-B-Eggy_tweaks-tjm01_lighting-acr0-ps01b_for_GIF.gif
    IMG_3428-B-Eggy_tweaks-tjm01_lighting-acr0-ps01b_for_GIF.gif
    421.8 KB · Views: 41

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That is a very nice job Tom!

Beside the illusion of elevating the cheek-bones and therefore thinning the face (illusion) there's more detail in the vest and hair.