What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Logo font change guru needed please

starzin

Hello, I've just found Photoshop Gurus forum and hope some kind soul will help with my request.
Thank you in advance for your viewing and consideration.

After 8 years I'm transferring my website to WordPress and would like my logo font to match the new website heading font which will be RALEWAY.

If someone could change the logo font I would greatly appreciate it.

Note the EFT is not italic and I would like attention paid to kerning.
I have an .ai file but it doesn't appear I can upload it. Hmmm... just tried again and something's there so maybe it did. Have provided a .png jusst in case.
Transparent background and vector resizable please.

View attachment eft.ai

EFTadv-in-use.png

fredfish

Guru
I have tried to match sizes and kerning as much as possible. The small problem is with the F and the T. Because of the differences in the fonts if the kerning is matched then the F and the T run in to each other. So the final image is very slightly longer than your origional. You can see this in this picture (not the final one BTW).

EFT info.jpg

Here are 2 versions in .png format.

This one is the font in its standard format.

EFT final.png

This is the same file but "squashed" horizontally very slightly so that the overall dimensions are exactly the same as your original.

EFT squashed.png

Here is the psd if it helps.

View attachment EFT final.psd

I hope this works for you. If not let me know.

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
gedstar - looks like we crossed.

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
I have just noticed that the OP said they needed it in a vector format - mine is .png. It is large so should be scale-able for the purposes of the web. If you absolutely need it in vector format can do but is a bit more work. Mind you the .psd I posted has the graphic as a Smart Object linked to a vector image and the text is .ttf so by its nature would be scale-able.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

starzin

Hi gedstar - thank you for the welcome and the work. The minor problem is the "advantage" should be lighter weight. However as you noted, it seems fredfish has it covered :)

Hi fredfish - thank you very much for the quick response and the great work. Yes, I had noted the problems with the F and T when I just typed it using Raleway. Unfortunately the E does look a bit out there by itself.

They didn't need to be the same length, but thank you for the thought.
I think that size png will be fine, it will only be used on the website and brochures at this stage. I was just trying to add a bit of "insurance" :)

Is the png background transparent? It doesn't seem to be when I open it in Preview (Mac)

Thank you again!

fredfish

Guru
Hi again

yes the BG is transparent (I had to check - I have been known to forget!).

Also I have just tweaked this very slightly - by slightly closing the gap between the E and the F which I think is a little more balanced.

BTW - I checked out your website - I like what you are doing, I work with people with long term disabilities and life threatening conditions. The sort of work you are doing sounds very interesting and a positive alternative to CBT. Just a shame you are on the other side of the world, makes a visit a bit involved :).

Cheers

John

EFT final 2.png

starzin

yes the BG is transparent (I had to check - I have been known to forget!).

Hi John
Hmm... I have my Preview background set to grey so that I can tell the difference. When I open the original png it's just purple on grey, when I open yours it has the white around it. The same when I just R-click and "quick look" from the desktop. Don't know why.

Also I have just tweaked this very slightly - by slightly closing the gap between the E and the F which I think is a little more balanced.

Great minds and all that - I was just thinking the same! It looks MUCH better and I can live with this version - thank you again

BTW - I checked out your website -

Thank you :) It hasn't been touched in years and is now throwing errors because of degraded HTML/CSS (copyright) but it still seems to get the message across, I still get phone calls.
I like what you are doing, I work with people with long term disabilities and life threatening conditions. The sort of work you are doing sounds very interesting and a positive alternative to CBT. Just a shame you are on the other side of the world, makes a visit a bit involved :)

Then you do very good work and don't despair! EFT has been around since the mid 1990s and is very well known in the UK. It is also a lot quicker than CBT and can also be taught to your clients to do for themselves. It's the wee small hours here so I'm about to go to bed but here's a start EFT Masters UK it will be fairly easy to find a course from there I should think.

Just be aware that some practitioners have developed/use other techniques alongside what I call "vanilla" EFT. Karl Dawson on that site is one of them. Also stay right away from FasterEFT.

Enjoy!
Vicki

fredfish

Guru
I will check them out, thanks for the link.

If you still have a problem with the background then please let me know. I dont use a Mac so I am not familiar with what happens on previews. On my system here it clearly shows as a transparent background as you can see from this screen dump

Untitled.jpg

- but I am more than happy to make changes if necessary.

Cheers

John

Inkz

Guru
Thought I might chip in on this..

So to find a good matching font for Raleway, I decided Merryweather was a good pick. Even though it's only used for the abbreviation it still looks nice.
Whoever, I played a little with the kerning and brought in the middle lines of the letters E and F a little. I also used a thicker weight for the EFT.
Raleway is a nice font but the heavier in weight you go, especially when displaying it in italics you get those annoying little flicks at the end, not a big
fan to be honest, so a thinner weight looks best.

I know you never asked for the logo image itself to be looked at but I felt some changes where necessary. When you rotated the logo image by
45 degrees it really didn't look square, looked very misshapen, so I redone that to smoothen it out and I also changed the gradient colour to match the font colour. You shouldn't really have the font stand out more than the logo image, in this case it did because the gradient was of a lighter shade of
purple compared to the font colour, so I matched it up.

Anyway, I lined it all up using grids etc so I feel its looking the best it can.

EFT.png

Last edited:

starzin

Hello Inkz, thank you for "chipping in" but you've now given me a LOT more to think about! :)

The EFT looks MUCH better! Unfortunately I don't have much time to spend on this today - well you're asleep now anyway - but I'm happy to work a bit more on this if you are.

It doesn't matter if the two parts of the logo text are different fonts. They were originally, I thought they were Arial and Fontin Sans but the guy who did the original was someone I met on a CSS forum about 10 years ago and who had ~30 years print and web background and offered to do the logo. I've just realised how much work he must have put into the flicks (good word) on Fontin Sans since when I look now at just the typed font, they appear to be as sharp/sloppy as Raleway. I had him take out the "bump" in the g descender and he must have spent a while attending to the flicks as well. Unfortunately 10 years on, I no longer have access to him.

I settled on Raleway for the headings of my new WP website because I rather like the look of them in this website http://ucf.org.au I did for a small charitable fund I administer (voluntary). Then during the week I found this website http://www.oaktree.org/financials which I thought uses Raleway for both headings and body (not so sure it's the body font now) and am dithering whether to do that - which is how I ended up here to update the logo :)

At first sight, I'm thinking the EFT is a little too heavy and the "advantage could be a leetle bit bigger - just a slight imbalance between the two words. For instance maybe EFT semi-bold instead of Bold? I'm guessing here, I really have to get going for my friend's birthday lunch.

I see what you mean about the diamond but after so many years of seeing it so pale, it's something I have to get my head around. Maybe just a bit lighter?

I truly appreciate your efforts here Inkz, thank you very much! I will have some time tomorrow to do a bit more homework on fonts so if you want to hold off on further work that's okay too.

cheerz, Vicki

starzin

Apologies for the delay - the week got verrry busy!

However I managed to carve out some time yesterday to look at fonts and have a bit of a play. I decided that the flicks are a problem so I'll stick with the original logotype because I like the balance of size and weights but the delay meant I was able to get used to the darker logo and I do like it.

Inkz - would you please marry your enhanced logo with the original logotype please? Here's the original file again in case you need it.

View attachment eft.ai

I hope you enjoyed your Easter and enclose a pic - only the Brits! :cheesygrin:

easter-eggs-by-sainsbury.jpg

Thanks again