What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop colouring fill request

Hi Everyone,

So I am just in the process of finalizing a few last minute items before my wedding in 2 weeks. One of which is for my photobooth, as we were asked to design the cartoon's we want on the photostrips as well as the 'touch to start' screens.

Anyhow, so I spent a long time drawing them on paper and scanned it on my computer, but need some help from you guys to help me fill out the colour using photoshop... this way I can send it over to the photobooth company to be used.

I have 3 photos in total:

#1) Ask:
- girl - light brown / dark brown hair colour, light skin tone, red dress
- guy - black hair, light skin tone, grey vest, black tie, light blue dress shirt, dark grey pants

001.jpg

#2) Ask:
- girl - light brown / dark brown hair colour, light skin tone, white dress/gown
- guy - black hair, light skin tone, black bow tie, white dress shirt, charcoal/dark grey suit, black shoes

002.jpg
#3) Ask:
- no specific preference- this would be the "thank you" page for our photobooth, so can be a complete surprise.

003.jpg
Thank you all!

Appreciate all the help I can get in such a short notice!

fredfish

Guru
This is number 1. If it is the sort of thing you want I will carry on with the others.

Untitled-1.jpg

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
I had a go at the other two anyway.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Very beat wishes for your wedding.

Cheers

John

Thank you John these are wonderful!!!

Would you be able to send me the photoshop file so I can take a look at how it's done and learn from it?

fredfish

Guru
View attachment Untitled-3.psdView attachment Untitled-2.psdView attachment Untitled-1.psd

No problem.

Essentially the process is as follows:
  • Add a levels layer and adjust to get the best B/W image
  • Select by colour range to select the black lines (this is because there will be some white fringing around the black lines)
  • Fill the selection with black to get a good solid black outline
  • Once you have this delete all the white
  • Place the outline layer at the top of the layer stack
  • Create a layer below
  • Paint with the individual colours (doing it this way will ensure a good outline)

Hope this helps

Cheers

John