What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The art of nothingness: how to remove a person?

BobtheBlob

Hello fellow Photoshoppers :cheesygrin:

I have undertaken a bit of a quest trying to remove a person from a group photo. I've come as far as using the Clone Stamp but I got stuck at this stage and am not sure how to continue.
This is the original picture, I'd like to remove the girl on the bottom left:
IMG-20170504-WA0002.jpg

This is how far I've come:
test.jpg

Could anyone of you help me finish the task or tell me how I could "draw" the body parts in a way that looks decently realistic, please?

Many thanks for your help!! :thumbsup:

If you know the guy in the gray sweater and have access to him, you can try taking another photo of him wearing that same sweater in the same pose, and then paste his arm into your group photo. If that is not feasible, then find another image that's close, or have somebody pose for you in exactly the same posture and take your own photo. I spent only 5 minutes on this just to see how it would come out. Here's what I did:

1. Believe it or not, I Googled "Man Wearing Sweater with Bent Arm" and got some reasonable hits. I chose the image attached below.
2. Convert that image to black & white.
3. Paste it into your group photo and adjust the scale and rotation as best as you can to position the arm where it belongs.
4. Use a layer mask to hide everything except the portions of the arm and shoulder.
5. Experiment with different layer blend modes to allow the shadows & highlights of the arm image to blend with the texture of the guy's sweater. I used Overlay in this example.

It needs a lot of clean-up and more careful masking, especially around the guy's collar. But this gives you a reasonable start with realistic looking fabric folds.

Lastly, you cloned the cobblestone street from the area right above the missing girl's head, but the dark seams call unnecessary attention to themselves. If it were me, I would copy & paste a section of the cobblestones from the far right of the photo and then use a combination of Rotate, Skew and Perspective to fit that into the empty space where the girl was.

zip.jpg

test.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, yeah that last one is a great idea. :D

And many thanks Rich54, I'll do just that!! It's so obvious but for whatever reason I needed someone to tell me :)

Back