What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night Mode mistake - Can someone change back to normal colors.

reyhab13

I purchased a Go Pro knockoff camera for a recent vacation trip to try. I was playing with the settings in a cave and had it on night mode. The following day I was taking pics on the ocean while kayaking and all my still shots were still in night mode so everything has a white hue to it. I'm afraid they are ruined but I know there are gurus out here that may know something that I don't. Is it possible to adjust some of these pics back to regular color or at least try to make it less white hued. I'm really just looking to have one picture edited in particular if at all possible. My videos turned out okay so I can take still shots from that but the pic of me and my friend on the kayak is not great. Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

thebestcpu

Guru
Best to post the picture or pictures you want repaired and see what can be done by Forum members. Hard to know without the images.

John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi reyhab13

I am afraid that there are huge areas of the image that have not detail at all that can be recovered with the supplied data. In the image below, I marked in red where there was no detail at all. What that means is those areas would be needed to be painted in from other sources. That is not too difficult by leveraging maybe the water from the left to the right side yet get the face right for the person in front would be best done with a good supplied image from you with the same expression, direction of look etc. So effectively painting over these red areas with parts of pictures from another source.

That is beyond my capability. Sorry

John Wheeler

blown-out-image-areas-identified.jpg

Pipsmom

Guru
OOOh, I know this just made you sick to discover your mistake. As previous stated there just isn't any imfo on the right and its not fixable color wise. Had a go at it but sadly no solution, maybe someone else has better ideas

Night vision edit smaller version.jpg

Tony Bowman

You can recover the colours in the areas that are not blown out but as John says, there's no way to recover the data that is clipped. In this example, I reduced the exposure by the maximum amount in raw processing software (ACR) and adjusted saturation.

smaller version.jpg

Tony Bowman

Another option is to go for artistic effect... In that respect, there are lots of possibilities. Here's a watercolour technique that I learned recently.

smaller version.jpg

Pipsmom

Guru
I was bored today so I played around with some different software instead, hope you don't mind.

edited smaller version.jpg