What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some help with a missing part

Sternahirundo

I photographed this male Pallid Harrier in the middle of the spring in Northern Greece. I just missed the one wing primary edges, but somehow i would like to add the missed edges (and also add some space around it).
Here is a jpg saved form a Raw file without any editing in PS in the best possible dimensions. I just made an improvement in basic adjustments (WB, Contrast, H&S, NR, CA) in the RAW file in LR .

IMG_7675_Cirmac_PS.jpg

Is there any guideline about how we could deal with such cases ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sternahirundo

Thanks both of you !

I think the additional ones are a little more extended than normal and the corners more sharp turned.
Anyway could you pls tell me the stepes of the process to achieve such a result ?

zippy84

I've recorded it quickly to show you one quick way. I just basically copied the wing, and pasted, deleting with a low flow eraser to blend the 2 backgrounds and 2 wings... blending was quick and probably careless. If I was doing this with a high quality image I would take more time. Was rushing sorry, hope you get the idea.

Edit: Not sure how familiar you are with PS, but the part were I flip around the copied bit of the wing is called Free Transform - Edit>Free Transform

Last edited:

Sternahirundo

Tks a lot for the video instruction. I'll make an effort accordingly to your video.
I have basic knowledge on PS. Sometimes i use layers when i want to add sharpness at certain areas of the photo.

zippy84

Sorry I didn't have time to make a more detailed video. The main tools I use were:
-magic wand tool (wand shortcut - w) on background to select the background and inverse the selection to switch selection to the bird . Inverse selection shortcut - ctr+shft+i
-when bird is selected copy and paste into new layer (ctrl + c, ctrl +v)
-crop tool to drag out and increase the image size (shortcut - c)
-eye dropper tool select background colour (shortcut - i) and paint bucket tool (shortcut - g) to fill in empty space on new layer
-eraser to blend in backgrounds (and wings) - shortcut - e
-poly lasso selection tool to select wing outline on isolated layer (shortcut - l) then another copy and paste into new layer
-free transform tool (ctrl + t shortcut) to flip the selection using the boxes along the top pane when transform tool is in operation

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just watched this video............one thing I would suggest is to NEVER erase anything! Always use layer masking.

The eraser tool should almost never be used for anything!