What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making an Accurate Selection

gogolf757

My project requires a precise mask of an object--particularly clothes on a colored background. I've been using the pen tool to accurately outline the object (even for hair, which takes forever!!). The quick selection tool provides a quick mask, when used with the refine edge command, but the outline is not precise enough to satisfy the customer.

So my company's current project is to mask 100-200 items then send the outline back to the sender as a compressed photoshop file.

FYI I'm currently using CS5 and am running a DTP business, so a quality mask is of utmost importance for customer satisfaction.

I absolutely hate the pen tool. How can I make my process more efficient?

I would definitely use the Pen tool for most of your work. Use the Redefine tool for hair and brush it back in... Your going to sacrifice quality if you don't use the pen tool on certain objects...

Flattracker

For what you're doing the Pen is the tool. The way to make it more efficient is to love the pen tool. I love the pen, repeat, I love the pen.
Get used to it and it will become second nature and be as fast as any other selection tool.

Scott20015

Quickmasking and Pen tool are best bet. I've worked with companies like Coldwater Creek and they are fanatical about the items being removed from background and we always use pen tool/quick masking.