What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change hair color from blonde to brunette

artist.anon

I am trying to change a model's hair color in a photo from blonde to dark brunette (need one dark brown, and one black hair).

I can change the hair color to every other color and lighten and darken it using hue/saturation, burn & sponge tool, brush with overlays, but cannot seem to successfully get a realistic brunette. At the moment all I get is a black/white effect or a deep red.

Either I am not getting the combination and settings of these effects correct or I am not using the proper photoshop tools. I can't imagine that this should be difficult.

Prhaps the photo is not bet suited to this??
(can be viewed on ht tp://floatingmarket.webs.com/colorpop.jpg)

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

jacarn

Hi,

I've never done this myself but maybe check out this tut at tutorialblog.org/photo-retouching-change-hair-color/
Just use a brown color instead of the red?

iDad

Guru
Hair is always so tricky but possible takes time and some serious manipulating

iDad

Guru
I gave it a shot using Variations filter, with a rough selection. It worked great selection is just time consuming

artist.anon

jacarn: Yes, changing color is very easy, and using brown just makes for a red. Going dark and preserving a natural look is the challenge.

iDad: Ignore the selection process, as you say time consuming but I know how to do that. I tried using the variations filter but do not get something worthwhile out of it... I either get a bleached look or darker without changing the color much.. could you tell me what you did to get it to work great?

Steve

Retired Administrator
I got this with Selective Colors and Curves, is that closer to what you want?
A little more needs to be done over her eye and hair line, I didn't bother with that.

SSBrown.jpg

iDad

Guru
I only selected a small area and used variations I believe midtone and shadows but I also only went to reddish color didn't bother with brunette
View attachment 2057

jacarn

Damn guys this is difficult... I've tried it out myself but it's not near anything noteworthy. Good luck to the OP!

SgtArends

This is difficult to do,
There are also no helpful tutorials on Youtube,
Good Luck with it.