What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help creating base layer for clipping mask

JamieIvins

I am struggling with clipping masks and after a few hours of scouring the internet and trying different techniques, I am left no closer to my end result than from when I started. If someone here can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful!

I am creating a banner. The banner contains 1 background image and some text. I'd also like to include 9 photos on top of the background image, all bound by a textured border. I have created the borders for all 9 images and have placed them on the background. Now, my questions is how I make these base layers of a clipping mask. I want the the mask to show the image, even through some of the textured border.

I know how to create the actual clipping mask of the image to be placed in the border. My question lies entirely within the base layer/border layer.

Thanks in advance!!!

iDad

Guru
very confusing question, but are you looking to resize the canvas to accommodate all the images with no border?

JamieIvins

I apologize for the confusing question. Maybe the screen shots will help explain a little better.

Below is the image I am talking about. The background image is the guy with tattoos. On the right side of the image I have created borders and set them to where I want them. Within these borders, I'd like to create a clipping mask that only displays the image within the confines of the border.
khan_ss.jpg

I'm wondering how to create the mask to display like the layers in the image below. Notice the layer mask and the clipping mask on the base layer. I do not know how to create this portion.
layers_ss.jpg

Did this help at all or am I just creating more confusion?

iDad

Guru
you will have 9 separate images/layers sized to fit behind each box. use your layers window to place those images accordingly (where you want them to be)

JamieIvins

I understand that I can size them and fit them to the box but I want to create a clipping mask which will only show what is inside the confines of the box...allowing me to resize and replace images in a much easier fashion.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I was just as confused with what you were trying to achieve.... OK I finally got it.....

To create this you need the rectangle shape tool.....

View attachment 3616

This layer is positioned below the image layer you wish to "crop".... to turn it into a clipping group - hold down ALT and click the heavy line between the image and the clip mask layer..... you can click and drag the shape anywhere within the layer image to position it in place.

Last edited: