What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Someone give me an idea or a project to do

james28909

i want someone to give me a project or an idea (something kind of simple) to do that can help sharpen my novice skills. :)

What skills are you looking to improve?

I was doing this yesterday, I included the layers for you. See if you can duplicate it.

no layers Hawkeye, did you compress the file first?

I didn't attach the layers, I am just showing the layers panel in the screenshot.

okay, I get cha now..My bad

sorry yall have been busy with a transmission past few days....

i have a few questions, how did you do this? xD j/k i am having problems making the string though, how did you get it to be exact? did you make a shape or a brush? when i try to make one of the loops it is out of round and i cant make the center loop exactly in the center. maybe you can give me a pointer ^^ the rest is pretty close, but you gotta remember this is the first thing ive tried to actually create with photoshop. i feel like in a few weeks i will have a broader base knowledge to work from, but until then I NEED YOUR HELP !!!!! ;)

another thing is, how did you come up with 9 layers? i created everything with 5 or 6 layers, but i am not finished, i am on the string. im gonna psot what ive done so far, please dont laugh ^^
envelope.JPG

i dont know how to make the paper look crinkled like you did, i can add textures but i dont know exactly which effect your using. i tried different ones.

Last edited:
What I did is not the only way, there are many ways to do things in PS. But just for the record, don't try to do things with a minimum of layers. The more layers the better. The number of layers is actually 8, I could have merged more of them and there would be less layers shown, but to show the workflow better, I didn't.

I made the buttons separately, that isn't string (layers 9 & 9copy). They started out as a brown circle, then on another layer I made the silver circle (added bevel/emb) cut out the middle then merged the two layers. Duplicated it so there are two.

The string is simply the pencil tool (hold shift to get a straight line) on a layer below the button layers then applied a bevel emboss and drop shadow. The loose string was a stroked path (pencil again) with the same effects.

The envelope texture is a b&w render clouds with an emboss filter added, then colorized with hue/saturation.

well im gonna be taking web development tools and internet / web fundamentals starting tuesday, hopefully i will get some more practice in those classes. im hoping it will include like a graphics course within one of these courses

Back