What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Help - want to create text effect but cannot figure out how???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthlessone_uk

Hi all, I hope someone might help me... I feel this is a simple effect but can't figure out how to do it. I have attached a logo I want to create. The text is running through this silhouette I have made and when it runs through the silhouette I want to change the text from black to white in only the places it is on top of the silhouette so it can be read. If someone could talk me through the steps, I would be REALLY REALLY grateful... many thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• forguruadvice.jpg
    forguruadvice.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 15

iDad

Guru
not sure but if you put your text layer in Difference mode will that help?

hawkeye

Guru
Rasterize the text layer. Make a copy of it and fill the text with white. You should have two layers with the text, one black one white.

Ctrl+click the silhouette layer to make a selection. Click on the black text layer, hit delete. Select the white text layer inverse the selection and hit delete.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0

ruthlessone_uk

hmmm tried that... tried all the blending modes.... think it might have have something to do with masks/clipping masks maybe? I keep trying different ideas, layering different black and white layers... tried this knockout blending effect in advanced blending..... maybe there is a step I'm missing?? Thanks for replying though ;-)

iDad

Guru
as usual Hawkeye has the answer, you can't go wrong with that.

ruthlessone_uk

Hi Hawkeye... ok.. i've tried your suggestion but for me it is not working and I can't figure out why. The silhouette is an extracted photo which I have filled with black. I have a Mac so I know that when you say cntrl click to select something, for me that is command and click because I tried control and click and it doesn't work. I rasterized text, command + j to copy layer, command + click on duplicated layer thumbnail to select text, filled text with white. Then I clicked in layer palette to select silhouette layer and then command + clicked thumbnail to select outline of silouhette. After that I selected black text layer and hit my delete button... nothing happens. (Also tried deleting the layer in case that was what you meant, but I think not) Then selected white text layer, command + i to inverse and delete, nothing happens and I end up with white text across the silhouette with very thin black stroke around it (actually looks thinner than a 1 px stroke)... what am I missing??? or am I missing something in a Mac/Windows translation. Two questions... why am I putting a selection around the silhouette??? And when you say delete, could there be an alternative in Mac if you know. Tried several versions of your suggestion but nothing is working... help what am I doing wrong????

ruthlessone_uk

Hi Hawkeye... ok.. i've tried your suggestion but for me it is not working and I can't figure out why. The silhouette is an extracted photo which I have filled with black. I have a Mac so I know that when you say cntrl click to select something, for me that is command and click because I tried control and click and it doesn't work. I rasterized text, command + j to copy layer, command + click on duplicated layer thumbnail to select text, filled text with white. Then I clicked in layer palette to select silhouette layer and then command + clicked thumbnail to select outline of silouhette. After that I selected black text layer and hit my delete button... nothing happens. (Also tried deleting the layer in case that was what you meant, but I think not) Then selected white text layer, command + i to inverse and delete, nothing happens and I end up with white text across the silhouette with very thin black stroke around it (actually looks thinner than a 1 px stroke)... what am I missing??? or am I missing something in a Mac/Windows translation. Two questions... why am I putting a selection around the silhouette??? And when you say delete, could there be an alternative in Mac if you know. Tried several versions of your suggestion but nothing is working... help what am I doing wrong????

hawkeye

Guru
I'm on a PC. Try this it's even simpler. Duplicate the black text on the layer above the black text, change it to white text, then rasterize it. Now you should only see the white text over the black silhouette, since the white text on the white area will not show.

Select the white area around the black silhouette. You can do this by selecting the black silhouette and inverting the selection. Now select the white text layer and delete or cut the selection.

ruthlessone_uk

Hi hawkeye... well, i finally got there... i don't know how but when I'd finished following your instructions, I ended up with a white silhouette with white writing on a white background and a little bit of black writing where it overlapped, so then I just stuck all the layers together and inverted the whole thing! I don't understand at all what I am doing wrong to end up with the result "arse over tit" as we say... but thanks so much, got there in the end! By the way, is this what you do for work or do you just help people out in your spare time? Thanks so much anyway. Best regards from India, Ruth ;-)

hawkeye

Guru
I am a Photoshop freelancer, I don't work for anyone in particular, and I do my best to help people who are trying to learn Photoshop in my spare time. Glad you were sucessful, Ruth.

ruthlessone_uk

Well thank you again Hawkeye... feel very grateful that you are kind enough to share your free-time and experience... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.