What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image Size/Resolution Confusion... eeek... am I too late, will I have to start again?

ruthlessone_uk

Hi... i've been reading some other threads on image size vs resolution.. but I am still confused... here is my issue if someone might comment.

I have been sent some photos at 72 ppi resolution, 3888 x 2592 pixel size, 54 x36 doc size = 28.8M I have extracted elements from each picture (which has taken MANY hours with the pen tool) and have assembled these elements on a new doc size 10 x 10 inches, resolution 300 dpi, 3000 x 3000 ppi = 25.7 M... which is the size I want this project as this for printing so:

1. do I have to resize/resample the separate elements to 300ppi etc before I assemble them on the new document at the required specifications... or will they automatically resize when I move them onto that new document.... because when I check image size box it is at the spec I have chosen 300 ppi etc or will they be ok at printing as the complete size of the new doc is smaller than the separate elements? (please say I'm ok coz I have spent DAYS on this already)!!!

2. I have these shots in RGB mode... and have already finished the picture in RGB... can I just change the mode at the end to CMYK... or was I supposed to do it in the beginning???

It's for a CD cover for a friend... everything looks great on the mac... but now I am thinking it through... I am beginning to panic that I'm going to have to start again..... eeeeeek..... help with advice please!!!!!

HermesBird

Re: Image Size/Resolution Confusion... eeek... am I too late, will I have to start ag

Ok so by my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) Your asking whether its ok to move one element from a smaller resolution (72ppi) into a larger (300ppi) resolution without any problems? The answer is yes you are able to, though the elements will appear much smaller on the larger resolution as it has much more pixels per inch so there will be some resizing required. As far as RGB & CMYK go, you probably should have done this in the beginning as CMYK differs a bit when it comes to converting the profiles after editing- worst hat can happen is you'll have to touch it up a little more to bring back the tones lost when converting to CMYK. Hope that answers your question :)