What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop editing of scanned drawing, help asap

Scott Kiely

Hi there.
My first post on this forum, wahey!
Have to love the facebook integration by the way, kudos!

Basically, I have drawn a logo on paper and I have scanned it in 1600 dpi, so it is a fairly big and detailed image, im just wandering how to go about making into an accurate drawn logo without using a tablet, a quick and easy way with a good outcome.
I can post a picture of the logo if you want it.
Scott Kiely.

Last edited:

SeniorS

Guru
Without seeing it hard to tell. But for accurate drawing i use pen tool. Acctually i don't know another way make precise drawing without it.

allenrm

Why not post it so we can get a look at what you need. If we can see it, we can tell you what tools and how easy/hard it will be.

Fairy

As SeniorS said, you can use the pen tool, and if the logo is simple, you could use a combination of basic shapes and selections.

SeniorS

Guru
So. Here is sample how it could look using 2 slightly diferent method.
new-R-preview.jpg

At begining i increase contrast of image and text by using curves. Just make black more black so middle grey goes to black too. And small whites to total white. Result is almost bitmap. Trickiest part will be pool ball but with selection can done too.

Now when all is almost bitmap start to work.

First R made by very simple method.
1. take Magic Wand and click on white inside R. Then Select/Modify/Smooth with 8px. And fill it or made Solid Color layer with white color.
2. Click on black R outline and do smooth too. Then include in that selection "hole" (white part of inside) and made Solid Color with black.

You can experiment with smooth radius to achieve look you want.

Second method.
1. take Pen tool and made letter by yourself with so much detail you want. And when its done make selection from path and made Solid Color with black.

Third method.
2. make with 1st or 2nd method (i used 1st) white Solod Color then give it Layer Style/Drop shadow. Then Black part of letter will look same as letter itself.

After all letter and pool ball is done, delete (or hide) origin.

Don't think that text writen from hand needs to "penelize". Just make curves ajustments plus little painting over not looking text part (i didn't do it).

Here is psd sample (explore it): View attachment new-R preview.psd

Of course instead white and black in Solid Color you can choose any color you want and make it more bright.

P.S. For me personal taste 2nd looks better (will take more time).

SeniorS

Guru
Believe me that's not skills at all just practice. After you path out some jewelry pen tool doesn't scare anymore :D

SeniorS

Guru
Welcomen!

Congrat, looks very good!

P.S. Only thing would be good is to clear background, there some "dust" is a little.