What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which tools is best for Clipping path?

Tradexcel

Which tool seems effective to you for best clipping path results?

1. Magic Wand Tool
2. Lasso
3. Pen Tool

Please answer with the reason.

Thanks
Boorhan

SeniorS

Guru
All of them when using at right moment.

1. Almost with everything except 2 and 3 or with miljons details (tree with leafs).
2. Straight areas or small areas or not need to select precise (for color correction).
3. Straight, rounded, geometricly precise/sharp outline without miljons details (cup of tea, ball, vase, human hand, lead itself).

So they all are effective and doing their jobs perfectly.

Hoogle

Guru
you forgot to mention my favourite clipping mask Tool and that is Text I love using text as a clipping mask

Burned Ice

Power User
what do you mean? typing text and ctrl clicking on the text layer so you have a selection?

Hoogle

Guru
have you never used text as a clipping mask however you do does not matter i personally just type the text on a new layer and just go to Layer > clipping mask
View attachment 5079
Look how simple it is and yet adds so much to a logo for example

Burned Ice

Power User
Actually, no tutorial i ever followed explained what a clipping mask and a vector mask was, but they only mentioned them :/

Hoogle

Guru
clipping mask = clipping a picture inside a mask so for above example the text outline is the mask just like a layer mask and it clips to the underneath picture you can still reposistion everything to as you like it but anything outside the mask will not be visible

Burned Ice

Power User
and vector mask?

Hoogle

Guru
To be honest I dont really use vector masks much but I should do they pretty much hide whole layers and aimed more at shape mask for example if you want a rounded corner picture a vector mask would be the way to go and that is about the only reason I have explored them purely for creating frames etc but I am sure someone else will correct me on other uses lol