What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

double drop shadow????

Curious

Hi,
Im trying to get double drop shadows. i came across an article that said i could convert the layer into a smart object and give it additional shadows. however, when i try that the original drop shadow gets stuck onto the new one. i need them to go in slightly different directions. any ideas? thanks so much

also... while your reading this... do you know if theres a live chat site for photoshop help?

thanks thank thanks thanks :)

iDad

Guru
Duplicate layer with shadow lock it then change the others shadow to where you want it

siodre

not sure if this will work (can't try it myself atm) but make a layer and add your fx. then make a folder and drop your layer in it, add a second fx to the layer.

SeniorS

Guru
Hmm...very intresting. I tried, it really works.
Adjust first shadow with needed direction, then convert to smart to smart object.
Now give Drop Shadow again with different angle.

If need to change first shadow double click on smart layer PS will tell you what to do.

P.S. i like it.

Hoogle

Guru
the way I do complicated shadows is make a selection of the oblect that you want to make a shadow for copy it to a new layer then adjust levels or exposure to black it out use transform tool to put in place , warp it to suit the lighting and then adjust the layer opacity so it looks like a shadow then just duplicate the layer for a double shadow and reposistion it

Curious

Duplicate layer with shadow lock it then change the others shadow to where you want it

idad - this way is not working for some reason. even though the layer that i copied from is locked, when i duplicate it and move the new layers drop shadow, the locked layered ones moves as well.

Curious

Senior S - this worked for me!!! even though i had tried it originally i just thought id give it a second try and it worked!! thanks

sion

the way I do complicated shadows is make a selection of the oblect that you want to make a shadow for copy it to a new layer then adjust levels or exposure to black it out use transform tool to put in place , warp it to suit the lighting and then adjust the layer opacity so it looks like a shadow then just duplicate the layer for a double shadow and reposistion it

I do same. Sometimes "color overlay dark (worm)", If need litle blur, and blending mode if need, ant transform+ctrl