What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to create transparent image from icon

somebighamster

Hello everyone :cheesygrin:

I have this icon UHUrt.png and I'd like to use it on a website but with interchangeable colors.
So, what I'd like to do is create a png file with solid colors simulating the background.
And, where the actual icon colors are, use transparency. That way I can specify any color I want in the background and it will filter through!

Problem is, I don't know exactly how I could extract the different alpha transparency information to make the result similar to the pic shown above.
I know it's possible as I've followed some tuts but the result isn't exactly the same.

Thanks!!

So, what I'd like to do is create a png file with solid colors simulating the background.
And, where the actual icon colors are, use transparency. That way I can specify any color I want in the background and it will filter through!

Hi somebighamster

Don't know if I'm getting this right.

What will you like to make transparent the icon or the background?

If you please make this clearer for us, it will be great, and we'll be glad to help you.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

What I'm trying to do is something like a stencil, so the icon itself needs to be transparent so I can put the color I want in the background :cheesygrin:

Well, i don't understand neither.
But if you want to select that thing. You can use simple (in my opinion) way.
Copy image layer. Use Adjusment layer - Black&White. Merge copied layer with this one. You'll get greyscale look (just look) layer.
Adjust maximum contrast with curves/layer whatever till background of that thing is white but object is black (okey, looks black).
Now you can CTRL+click on any Chanell in Chanell panel and you get nice selection (background actually but you can invert if you need of course).

Hello everyone :cheesygrin:

I have this icon View attachment 5715 and I'd like to use it on a website but with interchangeable colors.

Problem is, I don't know exactly how I could extract the different alpha transparency information to make the result similar to the pic shown above.
I know it's possible as I've followed some tuts but the result isn't exactly the same.

Thanks!!

You can also save it as a .gif

Back