What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speckled photos

KBookman

Enter your zip code here 19004

Feature by feature, I'm learning a lot about Elements 7, but I can't find anything to address a problem I'm having with many of my photos: speckles -- literally thousands of dots (usually white) in numerous parts of the photo. Some of them are easily removed with large brushes, where I can "paint" over the speckles -- such as uniform skies, many garments, walls, etc. But some of them are extremely time-consuming to get rid of, can be done only with very small brushes, and defy "painting" because of variations such as wood grain, skin tones, patterned garments, hair, leaves and twigs, grass, etc. I have this nagging sense that somewhere in this program is a command that would remove most of these speckles and save me a ton of tedious clicking. Is there?

Not sure about E7 but in Ps the filter >Noise has an option that may help see attachment

It sound like your restoring old photos.
Clone Stamp and the Healing Brush are the tools for something like this I assume they're available in Elements 7.
The best tool for that is available in CS5, Content Aware Fill tool, but you still need to address every little speckle by hand.

Little Dust&Scratches do good job too (Radius=1-2 Threshold=20/30/40).
Better doit with new layer because some layer mask to reduce or restore (usually lines) can be needed.

Many thanks. There is, indeed, such a tool in E7. I'll go about learning how to use it momentarily.

Yes, those tools are available, and I've been using both of them. Another poster just told me about a "Despeckle" tool in the Filter:Noise menu. Sounds like that tool has possibilities. Thanks for your reply.

Back