What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apply selection to layer mask?

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here I thought I was so smart. At least this seemed like something I should be able to do, but it's something I don't know and obviously never tried before. Can I load a selection and use that to paint on the mask somehow?

Go ahead and berate me! But give me an answer please! :redface:

SeniorS

Guru
What you mean paint on the mask?

Think of mask that it is ordinary greyscale chanell. So all (or almost all i haven't check everything of course) manipulation that relate to greyscale are related to mask. You can use greyscale adjustments on it, some filters, paint with brush, use stump tool, pretty much everthing.
And selection work on object that is active. If you click on layer then it's layer, if you click on mask so it mask then.

Maybe you have some sample which you want to explain?

hawkeye

Guru
Load a selection then add a layer mask and it will be filled with that selection. For an existing mask, load a selection and with the mask selected, fill it with white or black.

ibclare

Queen Bee
OK, I have it working now. Thanks guys. Problem I had was that in doing the displacement map I already had the layer mask. But god knows what I was doing for it not to work. Anyway, it does. :mrgreen:

SeniorS

Guru
Yeah, displacement mask. :)

Maybe you have some layer upper which override painting in displacement mask or you have grouped then there is mask on group?
Or if that displacement have some diferent blending mode from normal then maybe under it isn't nothing much to effect?

ibclare

Queen Bee
I'm kind of tired so I'm not sure if I'm following. I did do a layer on top of the masked bottom layer, the pitcher and painted some shadows on that. Maybe that is interfering with the mask.