What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

monochrome bmp

flgirl

How to I create a monochrome bmp in photoshop ? I have a logo I use for my business that has a white back ground, blue image and red letters. I have a screen saver that is asking for a black and white monochrome bmp.
I am using photoshop cs and only have a photoshop 5 book which isnt telling a whole lot other than checking monochrome under the channel mixer, but it still isnt working correctly so obviously I am doing something wrong.

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Welles

Guru
Hi flgirl,

Welcome to the forums!

First a definition...
Bit depth
The number of bits that are used to store a pixel's color information for display. Graphics are also often described by the number of bits used to represent each dot. A 1-bit image is monochrome; an 8-bit image supports 256 colors or grayscales; and a 24- or 32-bit graphic supports true color.

When you use a 1 bit image you will have only black or white pixels, there will be no grays so no anti-aliasing. Any overlapping images will merge as they will be all black. So...

I'd suggest using your Magic wand tool with anti-aliased checked but contiguous unchecked in the options bar. Click on the white area. Inverse the selection (Control Shift I = Command Shift I on a Mac). Fill with black.

Next, Image > Mode > Grayscale followed by Image > Mode > Bitmap. In the Bitmap dialog, I'd suggest changing the Resolution to 96 ppi and for Method you might want to experiment but '50% Threshold' probably will give you your best edges.

Now Save As..., choose BMP and your only option will be 1 bit.

8))