What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No pen tool. Need options.

fword

Hey guys. I've decided to take my art to the digital side.

I'm using a wacom tablet and I have a few sketches I've started that I would like to ink the lines for that ultra smooth look. However, I'm using elements 8 (cause I'm poor) and there is no pen tool option. I'm also very new to PS so that's the only option I've seen that would give me the results I desire. Suggestions?

I've never downloaded any plugins either so I wouldn't know where to look or how to install them (if its complicated).

Sorry. One day I won't be a noob at this.

Hoogle

Guru
Cant you just just use a hard fine brush instead I really dont think pen tool is best way to go for sketches unless they are very simple. if you have a wacum then I would definately suggest tracing your sketch with a hard brush

fword

Well what I mean by sketches is my first step. I want to begin coloring but I can't get them to the quality I would like first. I still get some of the natural errors from free handing the lines.

Paul

Former Member
Some of my artoons are with the mouse totally, others i have used the pen all in. The pen gives it another level yeah, but you can do it all with your mouse - just practise more mate.

Vafann

Guru
Well what I mean by sketches is my first step. I want to begin coloring but I can't get them to the quality I would like first. I still get some of the natural errors from free handing the lines.

Do you have a scanner? in that case you could scan your sketches in and then trace them with a thin brush in Elements on a new layer maybe? :)

Vafann

Guru
Oh and also, you can download Inkscape for free, you have the pen tool there, and tutorials on how to make vector dreawings. I have done that since I can´t afford Illustrator yet. :)