What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remove background with stray hair

bnilsen

I tried your suggested tutorial as well. So here's what I got. Now I look jaundiced and have a shiny face!

Attachments

• my mess.jpg
    my mess.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 0

ibclare

Queen Bee
You're certainly welcome. I think I can speak for everyone who tried to help. Extracting hair can be done several ways and none of them are easy if you aren't a bit experienced. For a first try, you did OK. Don't give up on Photoshop; on the passport photo for now, different story :D. And come back to PSG when you have questions, when you want to find interesting tutorials, and when you want to have fun with Photoshop.

SeniorS

Guru
I just did it with a B&W photo from the web and it was ridiculously easy compared to the channel masking.
Good job.
As i said, it's easy :) and i love it ... of course, it don't fit any image but it's my favorite one for cutting feather thing for putting on background.

But, I got stuck at step 9.
Sorry, i haven't read it whole. I started but i felt that i don't need it.

SeniorS

Guru
You sound reasonable bnilsen and, most important, you give a shot to do it yourself and that's okey if you don't get result you need, at least you tried.
So you deserve unwatermarking (if you still need it):
cuted.jpg

And about tutorial.
First you need to "clear" background. In separate copied layer. And work with it like it original. After mask for hair is made then hide that overexposed layer and it should be okey.
Here is mine first step with that. Background is 0 but hair details are still there (that's a main trick). I use it only for hair, for shoulders i pen tool on original and add it to the mask.
extractstep1.jpg

SeniorS

Guru
I just did it with a B&W photo from the web and it was ridiculously easy compared to the channel masking.
Just wanted to add. It is channel masking actually. Just instead of using one channel (which may not contain all details) is using greyscale representation of image. It works throught layer but idea are same as for channel masking. In RGB there isn't greyscale channel to work with so it's go to separate layer.

P.S. I really have to learn how to relax and let go things :)

bnilsen

SeniorS - thank you SO much for the photo you did. It was also great to see what your first version looked like - so maybe I wasn't doing everything wrong. I will try again (with a different photo!). Again, thank you for all your help!

SeniorS

Guru
Welcomen!

It's not a first version but dublicated and modificated layer (total white background) for proper masking. Mask itself goes on original image.

ibclare

Queen Bee
P.S. I really have to learn how to relax and let go things :)

if you mean let go because you make sure your feedback, explanations, etc. cover the details, then I hope you don't get too relaxed. After all, I'm here to learn. I did realize that it used a new channel but now I see why it is easier to keep all the fine details of the hair being combined in the one greyscale. That method is easier and faster than the tutorials that have you start by selecting the high contrast channel and duplicating, then blah blah ... and so on.
:mrgreen:

SeniorS

Guru
I'm more than happy if my posts are usefull to you or someone else.
But i have to learn myself. And that's dramatically slowed down (almost stoped). I'll try to find and keep balance from obsession of PSG and own needs.
But i'll be in touch of course.