What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complex Selection - Help on best selection method to drop out a background

Status
Not open for further replies.

webwize

Hi,

I would be forever grateful if someone could give me some suggestions on how to "drop out" the background from this photo (I have loads to do which are very similar). Thus far I have tried channel selections and the calculations tool + all the normal quick selection tools and I just cant get it to work without spending hours adjusting things. The end effect I need to achieve is a perfect white background without loosing any of the detail if possible.... On a side note I have also tried taking the photo on blue, green, black and white backgrounds but due to the number of colours present in the products its just not working for me.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

webwize

Attachments

• HelpMe.psd
    8.6 MB · Views: 10

Hoogle

Guru
Ok had a quick go for you but there is no quick fix to many green reflections and green objects If you have a lot of this then I would invest in some Chroma key software or edit them in after effects and touch up in photoshop
best I could do.jpgView attachment best I could do.psd
select> colour range and choose all the green then invert selection copy to new layer bring your original layer on top apply a layer mask hiding it all then paint in white parts of the image you missed in the new layer add a hue saturation adjustment layer select green channel and lower saturation to take the green reflections out but on the layer mask of adjustment layer paint in black over any green objects

webwize

Thanks Hoogleman,

Your efforts are much better than I managed, will try following along with your suggestion and also have a look at after affects... looks like I'm not going to find a "big" shortcut so better get my head down...

Really appreciate you helping me out, first time on this forum and I think I will visit on a regular basis after today :)

Cheers

:)

Hoogle

Guru
Actually if you paint over with the mask I have set up in the psd then you will probably get what your after then disable the white layer if you want transparant background

webwize

Hi Again

I thought I would post a couple of images that I have been able to retouch using the advice I was given above... Added the extra step of adjusting them in Lightroom first. I have had really great results so very happy, only problem now is reducing the time it takes to process each image, hand painting in the masks takes an age...

Thanks again for the help. Any more suggestions will always be welcome.

BeforeAfterSkull2.jpgBeforeAfterSkulls.jpg

Cheers

webwize

Hoogle

Guru
with practice you will be flying through them it is just a case of developing a method that suits you but Good job nice to get some feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.