What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble motion-blurring background.

Im trying to motion-blur the background on an automotive photo I shot and didnt slow the shutterspeed down enough. So, using the quick selection tool, I selected the car, zooming it in to make sure I got every pixel, then Cntrl-C, then Cntrl-V to save as a layer. Then, I reselected the background layer and applied motion-blur which got me the effect I want. The problem is now the edges of the car have a ghost outline which will decrease if I lessen the blur to under 12 pixels. Which defeats the purpose. Am I missing a step here, or is this as good as it gets? Im using CS4 by the way. Thank you so much for anyones help.

Attachments

• teater motion.jpg
    teater motion.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 0

Stric9

Power User
After you copy the car to a new layer, delete the car from the blur layer then apply the blur otherwise you will get that halo effect.

I dont know how to delete the car from the background layer. Do I need to trace it out again with the quick select tool? Thank you.

Hoogle

Guru
If you select the car then copy it to a new layer keeping your selection go back to the original layer by clicking it then go to select > inverse and then apply motion Blur it will apply the blur to everywhere except where the car originally was. Just a tip though the image will not look right as you have frozen time in your picture so really need some kind of motion blur on the wheels Here is a picture I took admittedly this was done all with the set up of my camera and using a panning technique but the pincipal still applies the wheels need motion
_DSC05641.jpg

ibclare

Queen Bee
Another thing you might try is if you have smart objects, make it one, apply the motion blur, then paint on the filter mask to remove or add, etc. to the blur.

Thank you for the tips. I dont know what 'smart objects' are, but Ill find out. I have had good luck using the radial blur on the wheels, although I cant figure out how to make the 'radial' eliptical.

ibclare

Queen Bee
what version of PS are you using?

I looked it up. CS2 is when smart objects were released. To turn something into a smart object or apply smart filters, right click on the layer and choose "convert to smart object," or if you go directly to filters you'll see "convert for smart filters."

The advantage here is that the filter application shows up just like a layer effect does and can be adjusted or deleted. Smart filters are non-destructive. The same for smart objects. If you transform and downsize a layer and want to restore it, you have lost pixels. Not so with a smart object until you rasterize. There are things you can't do to a smart object layer, like paint on it.

Anyway, in applying blurs, you'll find a mask - like with adj layers - and you can use that to erase areas of the lbur.

Last edited:

cyruswiz

If you have a selection of the car you can just right click and hit "Layer via cut" and it will move the car to a new layer, then just apply the motion blur to the first layer as stric9 said. However you will need a copy of the original picture behind all the layers, when you blur the background it becomes transparent.
If you want to follow Hoogleman's advice and blur the wheels, you could repeat the process above^ on the wheels(select them one at a time and "Layer via cut" to a new layer) then select the wheel layer(ctr+click on the layer) and select radial blur.

Here is an example with an image off google:
YPic_CYRUS-PC_20111028-215308.jpg