What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color replacement tool

Hey all.

I'm trying to make the blue bottom portion of this wall match the top off-white portion. I try to paint over the blue with the color replacement tool, having set my brush to match the top wall, but when it overpaints the blue, I'm getting a much darker gray that doesn't match.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I included a screen shot so you can see my settings.

Thanks,

Agent

Attachments

• wall_bit.jpg
    wall_bit.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
  • wip_window.jpg
    wip_window.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 23

Hoogle

Guru
Would it not just be easier to select the blue part go to image adjustmens hue saturation decrease the saturation then increase the lightness ????

I tried that, but I can always see a difference between the top and bottom colors. I'm thinking that the color replacement tool would eliminate that. But I don't know if it even works that well.

Hoogle

Guru
I really dont use colour replacement I always thought it blends the colours so it takes an average of hues so an equal green to blue would wrk well but black to white wouldnt if that makes sense hence when you do colour replacement on your image it is still keeping the blue shade.

Stric9

Power User
Your getting the luminosity of the blue remaining in the color that is why it is darker. But if you change the brush to luminosity mode you will lose the mortar joints. I "think" you can replace the color and get the grey, then copy the grey to a new layer then use levels on just the grey to get the match. Longer than Hooglemans way but you keep the original brick structure. Use the color picker to make sure the values match.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, guys.

Hoogle, I used your suggestion on hue and saturation, and got pretty close. In the end, I used the clone stamp and sampled the upper wall to go over the lower part and make it match well.

I'll have to mess around with color replacement and learn better how it works.

Thanks again,

Agent

Hoogle

Guru
yeah I have done that before put a soft large brush on the clone and set the mode to lighten or darken on a low opacity and it usually fixes the problem or another way is to use the paint brush sample the colour of what you want it to be and set brush mode to lighten or darken and brush over at about a 10% opacity and that should not loose any detail in the texture.