What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preserve Selection Area

BigJ

i wish to define a selection, which can be altered while preserving it's area.

for instance, assuming the selection is 6x4 (an area of 24), then any of the following selection box holds: 1x24, 2x12, 3x8, 4x6, 8x3, 12x2, 24x1.

is there any way to achieve it?
thanks gurus.

Hoogle

Guru
I am not sure what you mean But I am going to guess if you have an area of 24 inches you would like to be able to have it as either 1 area or divided into 2 , 3 ,4 ,5 areas etc equally. Then if I am right you could use the slice tool sorry if I am totally wrong in what you want.

BigJ

thank you for your reply.
i do no want to divide the selection area.
i want to be able to alter it's size\shape while preserving the selection area.

if i make a selection of 4x6, i wish to alter it's size to be 12x2, or any other size which preserve the selection area.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Maybe it's your word "preserve." If you have a selection which is 4 X 6, its proportions are going to change as I'm reading what you're saying. I'll take a stab at it! You can save a selection, under select>save selection. Then you can load that any time you like and transform the selection. But I'm guessing that is too simple a concept for what you're asking. So like Hoogleman said, "sorry if I am totally wrong in what you want."
:mrgreen:

BigJ

thanks you all for replying.
i thought i was very well defined.

again, there are infinite ways to select 20% of the photo.
i want all of them! i can select them by hand or automate the procedure.
how may i do either?

Hoogle

Guru
Use the square marquee tool and set the mode to fixed ratio in this case 6 x 4 place the selection where you need it by clicking inside the selected area and drag it to the desired area then press control +T to bring up the free transform tool and where I have highlighted put the percentage in as 200% for twice the size.
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG