What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gradient banding in 16 bit grayscale

PoisonFrog

I've used Photoshop for a variety of things over the years, but never for photography...

Currently I'm working on terrain height maps for a video game(Sims 3, Create-a-World). 16 bit grayscale png is the format. I generate the height map in another program and then refine the resultant png in Photoshop. I make extensive use of B&W gradients and selection tools to fade from one elevation to another on the maps.

I've noticed that while the gradients produced by Photoshop are of excellent quality, the ones I generate with the Eye Candy 6 'Gradient Glow' plug-in always have banding resulting in very discernible steps on my terrain and need to be blended first with a Gaussian blur to be usable.

While Eye Candy claims this filter is 16 bit compatible, I'm dubious that is using more than 8 bits during generation.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a better solution than blurring?

Thanks