What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modify a selection without moving the image

Rupert

Hi
I'm sure this is so basic but I can't think how to do it.
When selecting an area I would like to modify/transform/reshape just that selection (the marching ants) without moving the underlying image.
How do I do that?

Paul

Former Member
Welcome mate, when you have 'marching ants' do a new layer via copy and you can then do what you like with it.

Rupert

Ah no, that's not what I mean. Let's say that I want to select an irregular oval part of my image. Suppose I use the elliptical marquee tool to get a close approximation of the area I want to select. I then want to modify/stretch/skew that selection or those marching ants so that I'm selecting exactly the area of the image I want. However, if I use the Edit/Transform/Skew option it it doesn't just allow me to skew the marching ants area - it skews the image. Is there not some key I can press to allow me alter the just the selection?

Paul

Former Member
Like i said make a new layer copy of your 'selection' and you can do all of the skewing twisting pulling you desire?

Rupert

Yes I tried that and it skews the image, not the selection. Maybe I'm not explaining too well.
I have an image with an oval area I want to select. Using the Elliptical Marquee tool I can get pretty close to selecting just that area - but not quite. Now I'm talking here about the shape of the marching ants area, NOT the underlying image. I don't want to skew the image, I want to skew the shape of the marching ants.

Stric9

Power User
To do that before you release your click, you can push the spacebar to change locations of the selection, release the spacebar and continue to drag your mouse to get the exact selection that you are looking for or you can follow Hawkeye's advice.

I thought the same thing Paul till I read the last post.

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Yep, saved the day mate (mental note 'read slower').

Stric9

Power User
Not really. I read it the same way too. I think Rupert explained it alittle better the second time.

Rupert

Oh what an idiot I am! I'd somehow forgotton about 'Select-Transform Selection' & the space bar. I knew it was something very basic. I think I'm going to bed now. Thanks guys