What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need to know how this picture was done!! help!! needs to be next to exact.

joshninny

ok so this thing wont let me post links untill i post five post so ill just send the link. so its at nopattern dot com (dot being an actual . lol) once your at the site look at the tab that says "art" at the top. click on it. then scroll and the forth one down on the left hand side is this northern lights looking picture. if you put the cursor over the picture its called "chances of Ghosts" need help recreating that. kinda need someone really creative and experienced

i have some ideas of how it was done but it doesn't come out exact.

Attachments

• COG-576x765.jpg
    COG-576x765.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 1

Hoogle

Guru
I would look up fractal brushes and smoke the rest is just layers set to colour mode or soft light with the colours painted in on top. And then to finish it off looks like there has possibly been a noise filter or cross processing action applied.

joshninny

ok no fractal brushes or any downloadable brushes. this think was made from scratch and thats how i want to make it. get creative. i think he played with the pen tool. the part i wanted to know how to make was the strokes. the lines and stuff. anyone?

[video]http://youtu.be/hSvCeQ_ta6c[/video]
This may or may not help.

It depends on how sure you are that the person who did this did it by hand!

joshninny

i know for a fact he did not use fractal brushes. i know about those. i saw an interview on the artist and he said he doesn't use any downloadable brushes or outside programs. its all done on photoshop. if you look at some of the lines it looks like he took the pen tool and made the letter 8 then he right clicked and hit "made selection". blurred it crazy with gaussian blur and some motion blur or something. ive read interviews on this guy. he said he's been doing photoshop for a really long time and developing this cool style. he knows how to use photoshop. he's like a master at it. any more ideas?

joshninny

oh by the way i forgot one thing. after he makes the letter 8 with the pen tool and hits make selection and you see the marching ants he brushes in the selection or something. get me?

Have you tried doing a shape of some sort, the applying inner and outer glow, then gaussian then motion blur. Have you got a tablet to make drawing thing like this easier?

Paul

Former Member
Interview with artist Interview: Chuck Anderson | Abduzeedo | Graphic Design Inspiration and Photoshop Tutorials

And Interview with Chuck Anderson | Psdtuts+

His own words -
How do you create the colors/lights/glows that are in much of your work?
This is probably the question I get asked the most and the one I like answering the least. It’s not that I don’t like to “share my secrets”, but rather I feel it’s much more helpful to simply encourage you to experiment until you get things looking like you want them, if using color/light/glows is something you’re after. In Photoshop, constantly experiment with different layer styles, blending modes, custom-made brushes, and settings. There’s not a lot of rhyme or reason. However, if you’re looking to work these elements into photography, for example, the most important piece of advice I have is this: strive to integrate new design elements into the photograph rather than simply “placing them on top”, so to speak. Think about the way light and color would realistically play off the subject matter in the photo - how it would affect shadows, skin tones, existing light & color. For me, it’s extremely important to integrate these things in order to create a near-realistic, "in-camera" aesthetic illusion rather than to have what looks mostly like 2 separate things - a base image and things on top of that base image. If you need specific technical help, I suggest checking out the tutorials in magazines like Computer Arts and on sites like Abduzeedo | Graphic Design Inspiration and Photoshop Tutorials and Adobe Photoshop Tutorials from Beginner to Advanced | Psdtuts+.

Paul

Former Member
It does look like a series of pen tool creational shapes, then played with in varying ways with strokes/colour fills/blurs what ever your mind wants really.