What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjustment layer to affect more than one layer, but not all?

Cybergooch

I'm familiar with adjustment layers and clipping masks, but am wondering if there's a way to have an adjustment layer affect a group of layers below it, but not all of them. (Usually you have a choice of having it affect either JUST the layer beneath it (through a clipping mask), or ALL of the layers beneath it.

Any other options?

Thanks!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Without separately clipping adj to each layer, the only way I know is to group the layers and make it a smart object. So, if you don't have smart objects, I'm not sure. :mrgreen:

ibclare

Queen Bee
An older method I have never tried is to place all the levels you'd like affected in a group and put an adj level at the top of the layer pile and don't clip it. Change the mode of the folder from pass through to normal. As I said, I've never tried it that way and I would but haven't time.

Also, let me clarify the smart object. When you group the layers together and make them a smarat obj, you are basically converting them to one layer so you can cip the adj layer to it. Double click on the sm obj to edit the contents of the group folder. Hope this helps.

Cybergooch

Without separately clipping adj to each layer, the only way I know is to group the layers and make it a smart object. So, if you don't have smart objects, I'm not sure. :mrgreen:

Thanks, when you say "separately clipping adj to each layer", do you mean duplicating the adjustment layer and individually applying it above each layer I want to be be affected? I really need to spend more time learning about and working with smart objects I think!

Cybergooch

An older method I have never tried is to place all the levels you'd like affected in a group and put an adj level at the top of the layer pile and don't clip it. Change the mode of the folder from pass through to normal. As I said, I've never tried it that way and I would but haven't time.

Also, let me clarify the smart object. When you group the layers together and make them a smarat obj, you are basically converting them to one layer so you can cip the adj layer to it. Double click on the sm obj to edit the contents of the group folder. Hope this helps.

The method you described with the adjustment layer at the top of a group of layers works! In fact, you can have more than one type of adjustment layer. I was hoping that the same technique would work with a color fill, (so I could tint a few layers, but not all of them below the color fill) but that doesn't seem to be the case. The smart object will work too.