What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please Judge my photoshopping

Contrapposto Man

Hello Mattattack347!

So, magazine covers aren't just about photoshoping. Graphic design, things like layout, are very important to the composition of a magazine cover. I think you have a good start, but something that you need to address is readability! Can the viewer READ the text you have on the cover. The second cover especially has major readability issues that need to be addressed. I would go with a bolder sans-serif font and something in a color that is going to be b-o-l-d!

Your first magazine cover is weighted a little more correctly, there is some errors in cutting ie: doesn't blend together as well as it could. I'm not quite sure what you're doing with the text either. The second magazine cover I'm completely lost. Its very hard to read and it's far too busy.

What I'd recommend for future covers is to study! Look at magazine covers, see what their composition is like, what is more popular and then try including those key elements into your own design work. Good luck, I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)

clarkenstein

Magazine covers can be a fun challenge. There's one of the PSG challenges from last year that is just that. Here are my thoughts:

I agree with C-Man about the text in both of these. It's hard to read in the 2nd and oddly placed in the 1st. In fact the headers in the first are way too tight, both to the top and each other. Why you have randomly staggered the contents titles, I'm not sure. OK, I can see they follow an off-center crescent curve. But they don't line up, aren't well-spaced, and the crescent isn't clear. At first glance the words just look random.

The foreground figure and the background are nice in the first example, but the 3 heads make no sense, have no depth, and aren't lit or leveled the same. The one on the bottom is a distracting focal point. So, I think if you got rid of those and realigned your text, and simplified the font for the contents portion, you'd have a pretty good design.

The second one is just too busy. Needs some drastic cuts. Even little details like the small section of flowery grey background. That should be flat color. The kids could be smaller unless they are part of the illustration with the angel. Hmmm. If the kids and the angel are separate, I would suggest giving the angel much more emphasis. And as C-Man said the text needs rearranging and a change of font and color for the contents.

Well, I hope I haven't hurt your feelings. That was not my intention. I like to teach and it seems that a little constructive critique was called for in this case. Keep up the good work Mattattack!

Jessicayla

Hoopy Frood
I agree with the above two comments. For the second one, try lining up the text to fit within the blank spots where the wings are at and don't have the text overlapping in to the darker part of the image. And to make the contents stand out, alternate colors for each line. Such as, Naruto being a black color, then Bleach being a red color, or whatever other color stands out but still fits the image.

You're off to a great start! Keep it up :)

ifhamkhan

Banned
Magazine covers are not just photoshopping, it requires research, for whom you are designing. A magazine cover snould not be simple or too much funky. It should be attractive as well as some sense. Btw good start bro :)

longlivemedia

Looks great for one who is just new with Photoshop. I particularly would want to add my criticism on the first one. Considering that Final Fantasy is one of the 3D movies which spent a really large amount of money for graphics and animation, the sharpness of your cover fall far below the standards. There's so much noise. But for a new fight, commendable!