What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In CS5, Layer select with out CTRL + Click? PLEASE HELP I've tried everything !!!

SuperDan

Hi Guys,

Can any of you help me with Photoshop CS5 on a mac please? I've tried everything including attempting to call design firms.

On an active layer in the layer palette it was once possible by hovering over the layer in the palette with the cursor, then pressing ctrl + clicking to then see the dotted selection line appear around the desired layer on the canvas so I can use this exact shape to crop away at another layer on the canvas but the feature isn’t there in CS5 as it was in previous versions?

I tried use the magic wand tool but I'm getting terribly pixelated edges even at 300dpi where as the geometric shapes I've created are lovely and smooth for using to crop away at other shapes.

Is there another way of selecting a layer in CS5 please guys?

Or another new age way of doing what I'm after while creating selections with the same high quality edges please?

Cheers,

Dan

Hoogle

Guru
Re: In CS5, Layer select with out CTRL + Click? PLEASE HELP I've tried everything !!

the same command works in cs5 but control and click on the layer preview icon is PC windows you will need to swap the control for command key

SuperDan

Re: In CS5, Layer select with out CTRL + Click? PLEASE HELP I've tried everything !!

Hi Hoogle !

Thanks for your time on this. I've tried 'cmd' several times but even when the cursor is above the layer I want to select it doesn't change as it used to when pressing ctrl.

Any other ideas?

Hoogle

Guru

are you putting the cursor above the layer or the little layer preview square you need the mouse to be in the red highlighted part for it to work
Capture.PNG

jaysuess

It still works in CS5. Make sure you're holding the command key on the MAC (also called the open apple key or beanie key). It should look like this:
Command-key-illustration.png
I believe on the PC you'd use the Windows key, but I don't have a PC to test it. Hold Cmd and hover over the layer icon until your cursor becomes a pointed finger with a dotted box. Now click. You should get your selection. If it's not working something wiggy is going on. There is a long method to select your layer. Go to Select>Load Selection and select your layer from the drop down menu under "channel". Same move, longer method.

Hoogle

Guru

the control key is the right key in windows.

SuperDan

After ALL that !!!

I was clicking to the right of the thumbnail, this time when I hovered the cursor over the actual thumb nail image you pointed out of the layer it worked, the cursor changes to a dotted square when clicking 'cmd' and while doing so the layer becomes activated with the selection line around it on the canvas !!! yes yes yes !!

I looked EVERYWHERE on the net for this ridiculously tiny answer and can only wish others find it here.

Thank you very much.

Dan​