What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you make stuff like this?

metalhearted

I guess its quite simply but I don't really know how to make it. Haven't figured it out yet.
Step_2.jpg
I think it's done in Illustrator. :|

AbdulW87

Power User
i was looking for a similar shape last week and i found it thanks to @Hoogle, its called starburst, search for it on google and you will find many different brush sets and what not.

Kellz616

this is quite simple in Photoshop...use a brush or create lines that are gonna allow you to get the lining affect how you want it...then make a gradient using blending options....blending options is key in photoshop. Experiment with blending options as often as you can and you will learn the in and outs of this powerful plug-in. just right click on the layer with the lines or copy it and mess with the one above it. Youll eventually be able to create pieces even better than this. I hope this helped. =)

Kellz616

Abdul is right. Brushes are an awesome way of bringing life to your photoshops. Brushes can limit exactly what results you want, but nonetheless Abdul is correct!

ibclare

Queen Bee
Kellz, it is nice of you to give advice, but if I were asking, I would have no idea what to do. Maybe you would outline the steps to take for at least one of those gradients. That would be very helpful. :mrgreen:

Kellz616

ok. Say you're editing a picture...simply right click the small image with the small thumbnail under layers....then choose blending options...from here click the small box next to gradient...from here you can fiddle with the blending modes....i.e linear light, contour, and even the angle the light comes from. I hope this helps you. =)

SCTRWD

Power User
Ok.
1. The base gradient is just the spectrum-like Gradient fill layer with the angle style.
2. The stripes can be done easily:
Choose rectangle tool and make verical rectangles( just make one, Ctrl-t, move it, Enter, Ctrl-z, and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-t....)
Select all rectangles with the Path selection tool, Ctrl-t, Warp-Arc: Bend-100%, Vertical distortion-100%. Ok. Move it where you want it. Set it's Blend mode and Opacity to something which looks good to you.
Finally, group these layers and add a mask to hide the lower part and fade the upper one as needed.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I just want to be sure that our OP gets more than a: "sure it can be done with gradients." That is really of no help to someone who genuinely wants to learn the steps to make something cool in Photoshop. Thanks for your assistance guys!

SCTRWD

Power User
I really thought I was clear;) Ok, here is another go:

1. Add a Gradient fill layer, for Style select Angle, for gradient choose the Spectrum preset.

2. Choose rectangle shape tool and make vertical rectangle with the height of your document and the width - the width of your document divided by the doubled number of stripes. Select this rectangle with the Path selection tool and clone it(holding Alt key) as many as the number of stripes. Select one of them and move it to the left border of the document. Select another one and move it to the right border of the document. Select all of the rectangles, align vertical centers and distribute left edges. With rectangles still selected press Ctr-T to start transform tool. Choose Warp transform by Arc, for Bend option enter 100%, for Horizontal distortion 0%, for Vertical distortion -100%. Move the shape so it's bottom center point will be at the center of the document. Press Ok. Set the color of your shape to Gray, it's Blend mode to Multiply and Opacity to something around 35%.

3. Add Gradient fill layer: Transparent to Black. For Style select Radial.

4. Group all these three layers and add a layer mask for group to mask out the bottom part of the document.

Hope this one would help.

P.S. There are, of course, other ways. You could make Smart object with the Polar coordinates: Rectangular to Polar filter applied. And in the Smart Object make the same layers but with Linear gradient styles for gradients and just vertical rectangles for stripes...

ibclare

Queen Bee
Sorry guys; I am the one who wasn't clear. I was just thanking you for outlining steps for the OP, rather than just saying here's the result as sometimes happens. :mrgreen: