What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about differences in transfering masks to selection and back

peta62

Guru
Hello,
I considered posting this in the newbies section, since I am sure it will be trivial for some, so please feel free to move it there if you think it should be there. But please explain me what I try to figure for a long time.
I make layer mask which is a bit fuzzy, so it merges picture from both layers in some parts. Then I want to save it in order to use it later somewhere, so I convert the mask into a selection. But the selection does not hold the fuzziness of original mask, so when I use it as a mask somewhere else, it varies from original.
I attached the psd file with example what I mean, I have saved mask of the Layer 1 as selection, loaded into Layer 2, created mask, but it is not the same, when I switch on and off visibility of the Layer 2 the picture changes.
Is there a way to make the selection to hold all the information about the mask including fuzziness exactly ?
Thank you,
Peter
View attachment maskselection.psd

SCTRWD

Power User
Your masks and selections work perfect.

When you switch off visibility of the Layer 2 you see the Layer 1 over the Background.

When you switch on visibility of the Layer 2 you see "combined" effect of Layer 1 and Layer 2 over the Background. Sure thing it's different:) You should switch off visibility of the Layer 1 to get the same effect.

peta62

Guru
It makes perfect sense, thank you.

One more question when I think about it. It means I cannot trust "marching ants" selection display and rather use other way unless I have only hard edges, correct ?

peta62

Guru
That is what I expected, thank you very much. Maybe I should also read Photoshop books, not only watch tutorials. Anybody knows how to push at least 48 hours into one day ?