What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BnW Image Effect

You can push the levels again. Depends, I guess, On how much detail you want. I did this by copy and paste of peta's work (tx for doing the hard part Peter), didn't download the photo. Sorry. Anyway, the first one was just pushing the levels, brightness slider left, gamma slider right. Then I used the filter mask, with a brush at different opacities, to put some of the detail - unleveled - back. Then for the second one, I merged the pic with the levels layer, copied it and set the copy to overlay. I used the filter mask once again to manipulate detail.

nemesis.jpg

nemesis_overlay.jpg

I will say again Nemesis, that the quality of the photo makes a big difference. In your first example, there is an incredibly rich quality to the hair for example that is most likely a result of the photography itself.

Thanks ibclare, I totally agree with you.

Evil Nemesis, check the lower lip on this picture, it would be even more obvious on a darker one. It is sharp with contrast and a lot of detail. If the rest of the picture, especially hair was similar, there would be much more possible. Plus the trick with both of your first pictures was that the people had different halves of face, this is almost frontal photograph, so you can hardly create those differences as on the second one you gave.

newBW2.jpg

yup the first one it's great, lastly can you tell me if we want specific area to be more white / grey or black how can we do that, and hey thanks

@ibclare

what do you mean by filter mask ? quick mask ?

and your 2nd image is exactly what I want, I will do it myself now.

Last edited:
No, it is not a quick mask. When you do a levels adjustment you can do it through Layer>new adjustment layer>levels (or whatever). Dialogue window will have check box, use previous layer to create clipping mask. The adjustment layer will have a mask and you can paint on this. If you use a black brush, you will diminish or delete the effect of the filter where you paint. That is one way to make a major change like filters, yet only have it effect part of your image/selection. Much harder to make a smooth selection to apply the filter effect to.

Really though Nemesis, you need to learn the basics of Photoshop before you try to get into intermediate and advanced level projects.

well mate, you're probably right, I do have lynda trainings for photoshop including essential training for cs6 and photo retouching training but didn't have time to watch them ever, will try them asap.

Lynda.com is really good. The videos really worked for me. And there is a wide assortment. Not to mention every software you can think of. Good luck with that. But I think you got plenty of leads on doing this project of yours, yes?

Yup this wasn't any project, it was something personal and I really thank all of you to help me with that, thanks alot +1

Definitely check them, they worked for me too. Although I am used to learn from books, especially
in my profession, it absolutely did not work for me with Photoshop, I was just more confused. Video tutorials like Lynda and Kelby exactly show what and how they are doing, I often learn more than just the subject of tutorial.

Back