What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to restore opacity in a semi transparent PNG?

Through the channels window, I can paint on the R, G and B channels individually. That's great, but where's the Alpha channel? Photoshop only allows me to create a new opacity layer which simply subtracts from the PNG's native opacity - it can't add to it. What I need is to INCREASE opacity.

In other words: I have parts of this PNG which are semi transparent, and I need them to become opaque. How can I do that?

EDIT: to help explain further, think of it as a single RGBA pixel value. I need to turn (0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.0) into this (0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0). Do you see?

Would it not just be easier to duplicate the layer a few times, until it is a solid colour, then merge the layers?

Yeah, it seems this is the only way photoshop can do what I need. I can duplicate the layer a bunch of times, collapse it down and apply a mask to it so I can paint it in slowly and precisely.

This is a very inelegant and ham-handed solution to the problem and I'm very disappointed Photoshop doesn't have a better solution.

All pixels in an image have R,G,B and Alpha channels stored. The fact that you cannot access the Alpha channel is a GIANT GLARING inadequacy in the design of the software.

But thank you for your help, everyone.