What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do you create this dithered pixel effect?

xanther

hey guys really need to figure out how these dudes created this image...
firstly was it done in pshop? if so with what techniques? i tried using indexed colour in the image>mode, with palette>uniform, dither>pattern but still didnt get the high quality that these guys got. i tried saving as a gif/png with pattern option selected in pshop and illustrator, still did'nt succeed. Really need to figure this out. appreciate any help you guys can provide. thanks.2.jpg

Dataflow

Power User
how i would try this would be to first create the text as normal with the right color then duplicate them and rasterize the duplicate then blur it to give that glow effect.
that is just from looking at the image so havent tried it so it might not be right method

h901

Is it not a image consisting of lots of dots on the layer above text to gove it that effect

xanther

hey guys really need to figure out how these dudes created this image...
firstly was it done in pshop? if so with what techniques? i tried using indexed colour in the image>mode, with palette>uniform, dither>pattern but still didnt get the high quality that these guys got. i tried saving as a gif/png with pattern option selected in pshop and illustrator, still did'nt succeed. Really need to figure this out. appreciate any help you guys can provide. thanks.View attachment 23017

ok so here's the site from where i found this thing...it's in one of the blog posts(pshopgurus isn't allowing me to post links of pages quite yet!?):

labs.jam3.ca

maybe some of the stuff on that page could give you folks a clue as to how it was done...i can't quite figure all of it out as of right now...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
xanther,

Here's one way to create this effect.

Do a internet search on "Creating Patterns with Photoshop", this will help.

Here I have created a small five dot pattern on a 100 by 100 pixel canvas. You could make the pattern any way you like I just used the dots. I then chose EDIT>DEFINE PATTERN and gave the pattern a name.

ScreenShot02.jpg

When I had some text or imagery that I wanted to overlay with this pattern, I then created a new layer on top of other layers and filled it with white. I then opened Layer Styles and chose Pattern Overlay. I adjusted the pattern size to my liking.

ScreenShot03.jpg

In the same Layer Styles, I then selected, Blending Options Custom. I lowered the fill opacity under Advanced Blending to a level I liked. I also lowered the General Blending opacity.

ScreenShot04.jpg

Here's the end result. I would have to do some more experimenting to get it to look like the examples you provided. But I think this is one way they may have achieved this effect.

ScreenShot01.jpg

Good luck!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did this really quick using different sized "dot" pattern overlays as I described above, some with layer masks and brushed out areas. It's very crude but you can see it's similar.

Attachments

• Hello01.jpg
    Hello01.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 62

xanther

Hey IamSam,
Thank you so much for your time and trouble. Your idea of using 2 layers and then overlay is spot on and it worked just fine. Someone else had also suggested the same approach and with similar results. A big Thank you also toDataflow and h901 for your contributions which were obviously along the same lines as IamSam. Much Appreciated. I hope I can be of assistance to you or someone else in my situation just as you have been to me. Thank you guys once again and Best Wishes!!

xanther

Hi again,

I thought i had everything figured out the first time, but as it now turns out, I did'nt. Before I go into details, let me just say that the overlay of the upper layer with halftone/dither worked just fine and absolutely no problems there. However, I am having a lot of difficulty in getting the lower layers to look right. The main issue for me is the colour/coloured glow? on the lowest layer and then the layer with code on it.

For the layer with code on it I would really like to get the same colours and style that is used on the Reference image that I uploaded. For that i tried print screening an image of source code from a random website and even a print screen of code on 'style editor' (i am using Firefox). Inverting that print screen layer and/or then adjusting all kinds of settings like hue/saturation, channel mixers, curves, modes, etc. etc. just didnt help. I tried print screening from Dreamweaver-no luck. also tried copying the text and pasting into photoshop and adding lighting effects like blue omni etc...still nothing like the reference image. So i'm stuck there.

Secondly, the Coloured layer(mostly blue)-I'm able to get those thin blue and coloured streaks just fine using a brush with colourdodge mode etc. and blurring. However the main blue 'blur' is still hard to create. I tried filling a separated later blue and then motion blur followed by eraser at the edges but can't get the change in colour of text at the bottom left corner to that burn effect(using burn did'nt help). Anyhow to make a long story short...stuck here as well.

Any help you guys can provide will be much appreciated! Thanks again for taking the time to help out.

Brad555

I have managed to figure this one out with some help and as luck would have it, i managed to get the result i was looking for without pixelbender. But thanks anyways for the trouble. Much appreciated!

B

Brooks

It's done by using index color and fiddling with its settings. The final result depends a lot on the original, non-indexed, image.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
xanther,

Sorry, I have been super busy. I haven't forgotten you, I'm working on it.