What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the best way to learn on photoshop?

TheSketcher

What is the best way to learn on Photoshop i started by following tutorials and now i follow tutorials still but i also edit them like add things to them from what i have learnt from the other tutorials.
im just wondering how you guys learn more, maybe the way you learn is the best way to do it for me i know everyone learns in different ways, im just curious.

There are many options. You can go to linda.com or one of the other sites that have training you can pay for or buy dvd training videos or just go on you tube and search for a particular subject, have photoshop open when watching the lesson and follow along. This is how I did it and learned alot. Alot of the vids are professional quality. Some aren't worth the time of day so just look around. Also on here they are very helpful.

For me the best thing to advance in Photoshop is to use random tutorials with your fav effects , I don't go after video tutorials but HTML ones. I don't care if a tutorial is very lengthy or Hard, I always learn something new from a single tutorial. specially I love image editing and composting tutorials but I kinda suck in designing since birth :(

Then again watch photoshop videos from Lynda.com

There are many options. You can go to linda.com or one of the other sites that have training you can pay for or buy dvd training videos or just go on you tube and search for a particular subject, have photoshop open when watching the lesson and follow along. This is how I did it and learned alot. Alot of the vids are professional quality. Some aren't worth the time of day so just look around. Also on here they are very helpful.

wow this is really helpful thank you for giving your opinion!i have never heard of linda.com before i will check it out, does it also have written tutorials?!

Just saw I put Linda.com, you got it right. Lynda.com. I don't think they have written post. Mostly videos but I might be wrong. Some vids are free and then the rest you have to pay to watch.

For me the best thing to advance in Photoshop is to use random tutorials with your fav effects , I don't go after video tutorials but HTML ones. I don't care if a tutorial is very lengthy or Hard, I always learn something new from a single tutorial. specially I love image editing and composting tutorials but I kinda suck in designing since birth :(

Then again watch photoshop videos from Lynda.com

well ive seen your work on here and i think its pretty cool and quite amazing some of the stuff you have done! thank you for giving your opinion too!

Also, don't be afraid to come up with images by just experimenting with bits of photoshop you have never used before. If you mess the settings, you can always reset them.

Also, after following a tutorial, what would you do differently to try and improve it? Why not try doing a similar effect on different types of image.

Also, don't be afraid to come up with images by just experimenting with bits of photoshop you have never used before. If you mess the settings, you can always reset them.

Also, after following a tutorial, what would you do differently to try and improve it? Why not try doing a similar effect on different types of image.

i use psdtuts+ for tutorials and i followed the touch pad one which i edited in my own way!

Hello, I used linda.com to learn Photoshop Elements and going to Photoshop has been easier because of it. youtube has some interesting tutorials but there is alot of junk. I'm a newbee with Photoshop and this is one great forum. Good luck.:clap:

Hey smoke, you can post links now you know.

Personally, I took a semester long class years ago. I never used PS to full potential, frankly still don't as it is pretty complex. When I began wanting to do more, I went to lynda.com, took some of the free tuts, liked them, and signed up for the $25/month services. At the time I was learning more in MS Office as well. Amazing selection of programs are covered.

I learned a lot there. Then I came to the forum here and learned even more, following people's suggestions of tuts, doing the challenges, helping people with questions and images. I agree with everyone above for how to learn. No one approach is going to suit everyone. But personally I recommend lynda even if just for a month or two. Well worth it.

And I agree with swampwizard, not just utube but the net can provide some real loser info. But I do think he's right; everybody and his brother thinks they can do a utube tutorial no matter how much experience they have. BUT, that is not to say they're all bad. See for yourself or ask for recommendations.

Last edited:
to add more :

* Stay far away from filters like "Filter Gallery" for at least a year :)
* Never Ever use a Plugin if you're not at a very advance Level
* Photoshop is all about blending modes, layer styles and layer masks you never know what you'll get by playing with them all

in the end I will still never ever recommend Youtube Tutorials !

well say what you will and yes there is a bunch of crap on you tube but if you take the time to look you can find a lot of good stuff. I think I have faired pretty well using that route. I have used other routes. Ordering a dvd and places such as kelby training, but because it doesn't work for one doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.

Yes there is lots of crap on the internet and I agree with tas9195. You can find some good stuff on YouTube but It takes some time sorting through the crap. I would avoid the Kelby dvd's unless you have you have the money to spend. I'm disabled and living on disability so I have to watch my spending. Adobe has some decent tutorials.

Back