What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I accomplish creating the attached gradient effect?

amymcdo3

Hello all,

I would like to know how I can create the attached gradient. I am able to add a gradient overlay to a line, but it does not solve the way the gradient appears to be taller in the middle and then fade out at the ends.

What would this be called? I could not find any answers by googling...

Thanks to all who can help!

Amy

Attachments

• ex-grad.gif
    ex-grad.gif
    6 KB · Views: 0
It's called a shadow hehe

Nothing more than adding a shadow to give the illusion the bar is raised in the middle.

See attached Image, exactly the same bar top and bottom but with a shadow painted in with the airbrush tool below the layer of the top bar.

bars.jpg

Yeah...

Just a simple shadow to create an illusion that it's lifting off the paper.

Is there a way without having to free hand with the air brush. I can't seem to get the line to be drawn so that it looks like it's smooth with the fading out on either side.

Depending on your image size, set the brush size so it approximately half the width of your line. Create new layer, select your Elliptical Marquee tool and make a circle approximately the size of the shadow you'd like. Now on this new layer click a little ways in from one side, hold your shift key down and then move the move horizontally to roughly the same distance from the opposite end. Now use the Opacity adjustment to tune it in a little.

Just put this together, hope it explains how I would do it.

Chris beat me too it!!!! LOL!!

Mine is a little different so I'll leave it!

Try this,

bar_01.jpg
Make your bar.

bar_02.jpg
Add a new layer, Use the ELLIPTICAL MARQUEE TOOL to create an ellipse.

bar_03.jpg
Fill it with black.

bar_04.jpg
Add a Gaussian blur and move it below the bar layer.

bar_05.jpg
Use the RECTANGLE MARQUEE TOOL to make a selection on the ellipse layer and hit delete.

bar_06.jpg
Your done.

That's cheating making videos! Hehehe!

That's cheating making videos! Hehehe!

haha Sam, sometimes easier for me and those I am explaining something to; as I have an amazing ability to confuse myself let along those I am trying to help lol. Also found a great, free screen grab thing so am playing with that as well :D :p

Well done my friend! I have Screenflow but I don't have a YouTube channel..........hummmmm may have to get one to keep up with you!

I think it's great that we all had the same basic idea with only a few minor differences in our solutions! Variety.

@ Remote-Med & IamSam...

You guy's are great at jumping in and helping other fellow members like this, proud to have you here, I know I am.

Good work.

Wow, thank you so much to everyone who replied. This is a huge help!!

You're Welcome, Glad we are able to help Amy :thumbsup:

@ Remote-Med & IamSam...

You guy's are great at jumping in and helping other fellow members like this, proud to have you here, I know I am.

Good work.

Thanks Buddy, just glad to be able to help. There is a time when we all need some help along the way. Glad to be here Bro :D

Well done my friend! I have Screenflow but I don't have a YouTube channel..........hummmmm may have to get one to keep up with you!

I think it's great that we all had the same basic idea with only a few minor differences in our solutions! Variety.

Definitely not a bad thing to have buddy, I use Debut which is free and really good. Auto upload to a You-Tube account etc plus lots of other things that are very useful.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html

Back