What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I made it to a semi-finalist in a contest

Paul

Former Member
No thoughts?

None really required as it is not the comp entry,but seeing you asked it looks ok, but components need a better blending and some of the lighting looks off.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Each of the pieces has the same emphasis and that means no focal point.

Just as you accent certain words in a sentence (sometimes creates different meaning), you need to have first, second and so on, attention grabbers.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I can try to explain my points.

This sentence sounds different depending on where I put the emphasis.

Slightly different interpretations.

Similarly, when I look at your image, my mind floats to the watch first because it is brightest and most detailed. Then to the head because it is bright and sharp. Lastly to the car because it is there. I don't even see the text.

What I would do to the image is move the head more left, blur it just slightly and make it less bright. I would make the watch smaller, blur some, decrease the brightness.

As for the text, I would have to experiment. First thing I might do is either make a path or rasterize, cut into two layers and transform. The "A Timeless Classic" I might move to the top and right of center. The larger text is obscured against the brightness of the wheels and rear end of the chassis. The reason I talk about the path or the transform is that I could see part of it straight across and part going up at an angle to follow the car.

Personally, I like the rear angle. I could see you replacing the head which adds nothing to the concept with a view of the front of th vehicle, small like the head, maybe slightly less blurred.

So anyway, you asked! :devilish:

hershy314

Guru
I took out the watch and head. Added a front view and kept the back view of the car. Also got rid of the text. I also added a slight gaussian blur to the photo.

BU012_180EV.jpgI think I could see this on the back of a tshirt or soemthing.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Here is an idea of what you might do with the text

300c.jpg

As for what you have right now: I think the two images fight with each other. It's that same issue of emphasis. I would make the top car smaller and move it over to the right. Or flip it horizontal, move it left and put the watch back and the text back. Listen to me; I haven't any idea where to go with it. Guess it depends what you're trying to achieve. Just keep in mind, balance and focus.

hershy314

Guru
Ok I'm going to forget about that pic for the time being. Really I want to create something scratch. It has to combine the city of Detroit and high fashion. It has to be either a graphic design, a logo, or an apparel sketch. Well for me either a logo or graphic design cause I can't draw for stuff. No idea what I will do, but dead line is in two weeks.

hershy314

Guru
Ok I lied...errr I mean changed my mind. Think this the one I'm going to enter. I took that second pic I showed ya'll. I made a few changes here and there. I scaled down the cars, moved the watch to a new location. Then for the background I added a nice gradiant.

cjv graphic design.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey H314,

Sorry so late to join in on this thread, been real busy. First off congratulations and good luck!

I really hope to see some more ideas from you on this one.

The winning design should reflect INSPIRATION from the 2013 Chrysler 300C John Varvatos Limited Edition, John Varvatos Design and the Chrysler Brand.

Felder

try to make your images as sharp as possible, the extra shadow and all makes it "not clean" (not sure if that is the right word lol)

Inkz

Guru
Ok I lied...errr I mean changed my mind. Think this the one I'm going to enter. I took that second pic I showed ya'll. I made a few changes here and there. I scaled down the cars, moved the watch to a new location. Then for the background I added a nice gradiant.

View attachment 24151

It looks nice...

But, it all looks too tightly presented. Also the stop watch is looking blurry compared to the cars. Sorry for nit picking lol, I don't mean to offend.

I think with a nice background and more room and some lighting chucked into the mix, it could piece a cool piece.

hershy314

Guru
Thanks for the tips guys. Right now I want to work on the entry for the contest. If I don't turn it in I forfeit the prize I already won and trust me I really could use that prize. I'm not sure if what I created there fits into the rules of the contest. From what I read it sounds like it has to be my design. The photos given to me were for inspiration.

Dataflow

Power User
how about a city sky line for the background (without the sky) night time shot
with the car at the bottom and the watch representing the moon (so the watch replaces the moon)

hershy314

Guru
I actually did that one with a skyline of Detroit. But I decided against it cause I felt it violated the rules. I can't use third-party stuff. Does that make the photos they gave me third party also? Anyways I thought I'd share a couple photos that they sent for inspiration. As part of the creative brief. Maybe someone can help me figure out what to do. I've hit a road block in my mind.
Img0002_11-19-2012.JPGImg0001_11-19-2012.JPGImg0003_11-19-2012.JPG
sorry for the shitty pics, those are print outs and taken with my camera. The originals are in PDF format.